cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Re: Happy daze are here again

Emergency room care is a bad idea for those with complicated illnesses. Seriously, would anybody think something like cancer should be cared for that way? 

As for the farmers who paid their own medical expenses out of pocket, one thing to realize is that there are negotiated lower rates for the insured. Usually out of pocket is considerably more expensive - I think as much as 50% more for many things. That's why those of us with large deductibles still have to use our insurance company to run our bills through. Also, farmers with land have an asset that could be seized in bankruptcy. They'd be about the last folks I'd recommend self-insuring, given the cost of cancer care, heart operations and those kinds of things. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I was certainly glad my family had insurance. The last four years would've wiped out about a third of what I netted on the farm - and my sale wouldn't have been a voluntary one. Between my heart, vascular and infection issues, and my partners brain tumor, well, let's just say the insurance was a nice thing to have. It took time to diagnose my heart issues. Had I not had insurance, I probably wouldn't have gone to Mayo for a second opinion after Abbott basically said what I was experiencing was all in my head. Mayo had me at 82% blocked in my mid left coronary artery, at a junction between two major branches. It was a difficult place to stent, but it has worked so far. Other issues with my heart couldn't be fixed. Bit that certainly helped. By the way, visually looking at the artery, the said it didn't look that bad. But they said they were the only place in the world that could do pressure and flow on the arteries.

Jen
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Obama doesn't raise your premiums. Insirance companies do.  Obama care is little more than subsidized health insurance much like your subsidized crop insurance. Is your crop insurance a lousy product simply because Obama pay 2/3rds of your premium.

Use Your heads a little bit. This will help more people to get health insurance  just like the subsidy helps farmers get crop insurance. a costly coverage as well. The crop insurance was designed to avoid disaster relief to farmers. Obama care is planned to avoid charitable healthcare being billed to the tax payers.

SO there are glitches getting started with Obama care. Why wouldn't you expect some startup problems with such a massive project with millions of mpeopl overloading the system. I wonder how many political opponents are trying to overwhelm the system.

The sad thing is we could have had something better if not for political resistance from both parties. Medicare for all would be much better. Operational cost much less and we all share the cost for everybody. The largest insurance pool is all of america. Shared cost and maximum buying power. You won't worry about paying for someone elses colonostophe because you can have a free one yourself. Some of you will do it just for the fun of it. lol!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I've had health insurance all my life (at my own expense). From what I am hearing around here is the people who are complaining are the ones who currently don't have health coverage and ObamaCare is being forced on them. Don't know, don't care. Insurance is something we cannot afford and we cannot afford to be without it, not only health insurance, but all insurance.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Kraft you gotta stop drinking the koolaid.its unaffordable case closed period
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Early in the process, before Congress got involved Obama went to the insurance companies and got them on board with his Unaffordable Health Care Act.  His approach to them was quite simple:  Have I got a deal for you!!  Not only do we get to pay up front with higher premiums and higher deductables we get to pay down the road as companies pass along all their costs in the products and services we buy.  You know those insurance company execs will see to it they get paid first.  Our expensive health care system doesn't even buy us the top ranking in many health categories.

0 Kudos