Veteran Contributor

Re: Harvest Report October 22

Is that the best you can do ? C'mon, you're better than that...

Three for a dollar...

How about a thank you for going out of my way - for no compensation mind you - to give you some insight as to what's going on in the corn market. Before I came to this site, the only information on the market and the factors determining price were a daily recitation of where prices traded that day, with no commentary on why they traded there. I think I give you a whole lot more information than that, for which some have been very grateful and decent enough to say thank you.

Maybe proper manners don't exist on your farm, you would prefer to transact in snide remarks. You have a lot of class, unfortunately its all low.

Advisor

Rayfcom,

Why do you always have to insult and name call people ?
Just state your info and call it a day. It is that simple.
Veteran Contributor

Not for nothing, but I posted an informative post about what the national harvest report said, something no one else bothered to let you know about in this forum. And instead of being grateful for my work, donated free of charge, I get abuse over a hyperbole that I used saying that only a strong frost or a torrential rain would cause a certain price level above the market to be reached. One friggin' sentence out of the entire post a couple of knuckleheads have to give me abuse over. 

Do you think that's fair ? Why aren't you addressing them and telling them that if they have nothing constructive to say, "state their info and call it a day" ? 

Everything I post is in good faith and an attempt to be informative. But when I get abuse I give it right back. If people don't like what I write, they should not read it. I post here with good intentions and i don't deserve to have my posts cherry picked for one or two words out of context. 

I don't think its insulting to tell the truth and when my work is derided out of context and I respond with the facts of a matter, that's not insulting nor name calling. Its stating the facts.

Advisor

[ Edited ]

Rayfcom,

Whatever you do, you should do because you like to do it.  Waiting for people to praise you and honor you, will give you a lot of false expectations.  Please remember that your analysis is your analysis and many traders and farmers analyze the current situation in so many different ways. 

Your, "one size fits all" market expertise works for you but not everyone.

Veteran Contributor

[ Edited ]

Report 10/23 last pass for 18

20181023_163012.jpg
Veteran Contributor

I don't do any of this for praise. But when you do something that tries to help people, you would think that if they were decent people they would sat thank you. Many on this site do, but there are some that proper manners seem to be a foreign concept. That's not right.

Yes, I am an advocate for what I believe in, but I have shown I have an open mind if someone presents a counter argument to my analysis. But that usually doesn't happen here...I make a suggestion and give reasons why I think its a good idea and inevitably some one of the same group of perpetual naysayers will attack me personally, in one form or another telling me I am a citi-diot. If someone thinks I am wrong, make a case against my suggestion instead of a snide remark.

Case in point, I was trying to find out why small farmers could not deliver into a CBOT futures contract. You know I had about half a dozen people giving me a hard time about the question until finally one or two of the really decent people around here (BA Deere and one other) stepped up and explained the issue to me. Why couldn't the others do the same thing ? Who was the offender then ?

One size fits all in business when it comes to cutting costs and maximizing revenue. There are many styles in those sizes, but the basic concept is the same for all. I have made several conjectures about how to do it regardless of the business, and have been ridiculed by the same half dozen people who always are long on mouth and short on brain. And aside from answering back in the same way I have been criticized, I think all the conversations I have initialized have been done informatively and politely., That's a size that should work for everyone but unfortunately its not always the case around here. 

Veteran Contributor

Nice field. Glad to see you got your crops off of it.

Advisor

Ray,
BADeere only likes you because you like the trumpeter. JK 😀
Honored Advisor

Gio, if Ray likes Trump, he is no dummy  Smiley Very Happy    

Farming isn`t a "one size fits all" business on any level, individual or the whole.  Because there are 1 million of us hermit crabs all trying to climb out of our bucket, in competition with each other.   I`ve said (and I hope no one is bored with this) but if John Deere isn`t selling $200,000 tractors, John Deere closes the factory and lays off workers and quits producing $200,000 John Deere tractors....or moves the factory to Brazil.

See, John Deere has business sense, if a farmer was running John Deere and losing money producing $200,000 tractors, we`d produce more, that`s how damned dumb we are.  I suppose I shouldn`t say "dumb" it`s the only option that an individual "hermit crab" has.   If we shut down our "factory" we`re out of a job and the old lady would bug us to "quit laying around the house and get a job!"   Smiley Happy

May be one or two of us Iowa hermit crabs escape the bucket and start a winery growing grapes or raising turtles or shrimp.  But those markets are so small that there`s only room for the one or two hermit crabs or the market gets saturated.  

But, we "cut costs" all that we can.  However, when land in the neighborhood is renting at $350/acre, you either pay it or a dozen other hermits crabs will gladly take your place and there you sit with $1 million in machinery sitting idle that you`re making payments on. 

See, that is a side of agricultural production that a Manhattan commodity trader does not see.

https://www.sidehustlenation.com/the-bucket-of-crabs-theory/

Veteran Advisor

Is that correct, that the "going rate" for cash rent in north central Iowa is $350/A??