cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Headed for a record

Here in Iowa... Haven't had a tornado anywhere in Iowa since May 24 last year. Three more days with out one and we set a record.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Headed for a record

Here`s the interesting thing Hobby, that I think anyway. The previous "no tornado record" was in 1955-1956 and Iowa was in a big drought at that time too http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe50s/water_01.html    there must be some correlation between `no tornados and dry weather`. 

I think last year May was a little more wetter than this yr, it`s just April was dry and we were all done.  David Kruse I think said he got 9" of rain last years May, which kind of saved  NW Iowa`s bacon last summer. 

So, what will end first no tornados or drought?  The drought is "over" but could reappear and raise heck with shallow rooted crops that were mudded in.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I can't remeber where I saw or read it - but about a month ago they were talking about the low chances of Tornado's this spring -- it had to do with the cold air  out running the dry line and T-storms - more or less killing the energy to make the BIG storms , OR something like that .

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Ecin, 

We are watching it happen just the way you describe out west------------ way over here.

Example quoted from a local paper this week---------------

"The April 30 high of 95 degrees beat the record of 94 set in 2002 and two days later, the May 2 record low of 27, set in 1946 was tied.  The next day May 3 record low of 27 degrees set in 1954 was shattered at 22 degrees. And on May 5 the low temp of 30 degrees beat the long-standing record of 31 set in 1907."

Accompanied by a picture of 2 inches of snow of May 2 less than 30 hours after the record high of 95 was recorded.

Okla. panhandle

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

so we still call it Peak Weather minus the TornadosSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I wrote that because it was easier to write to you than the letter I am composing to absentee owners explaining there will be no dry land crop for the third year in a row.  The wheat has been frozen 6 times now since the first of April (our normal last date for a hard freeze--April 12 for light frost).  The wheat is heading out at 3-4 inches high and turning brown at the same time.   I have stopped carrying my soil probe.  Used a bigger one this last month and can confirm that the top 10 feet is the dryest.

We are today officially 5.4 inches behind in moisture for 2013 with about 1.8-2.1 inches for the since last fall.  We have been running 1/3 of normal rainfall since May of 2010.  The wheat crop of june 2010 made 48-64 bushels per acre dryland.  That is the last crop of any kind dryland, worth cutting since.  photo.JPG

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

That worthless outing they call a wheat tour does not even come to the sw three counties of Kansas.

But they sure come looking for our high protein after nearly every harvest.--------- and of course they want taxes---- but just don't ask them to have to drive that far.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

LOL  sw !!! you didn't get me that time ! I just turned my computer on end to see your picture !!!! 

Sorry about your crop !  How wide are them rows ? looks like 11 or 15 's 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

;aslkdfjasldkfgasdlkgfhf

got totally lost there----------- point is hobby,  these are the symptoms of extreme drought.  and a snow storm and a couple of rains may not mean it is over.  When there is not much moisture in the atmosphere we can't build big activity,----wind and temps can run up and down without the insulation of moisture above.  Even the events in Iowa this last 4 weeks looked pretty hit& miss on the weather maps compared to the big massive fronts of spring that move across and give several states 2-3 inches in the spring.

I aint sure it's over yet on the large scale.  Out in Deep dirt country we can build a crop on subsoil moisture (at least a small one)  but eastern Ks can loose a fall crop in 3 weeks of dry weather in August no matter how good it looks now.  Hope Iowa doesn't go another year without a tornado.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Probably 10 inch.  We are on the border----- 30 miles east  will be 7-8 inch rows--------- 40 miles west in colorado you will see a lot of 12 inch------ You might have even see 14 on the way to denver a few years back.

I was down close to the rows --------- tall guys can't handle the wind here.

But I was not laying down------------------- "Pass another Coro......................."    🙂

Just a random field I drove by----- average ------many look worse.

0 Kudos