Senior Advisor

Hearing about the appearance of SDS

What are you guys finding?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Hearing about the appearance of SDS

Talked with my brother yesterday, he said some beans have patches turning color but does not know if it is SDS.  Says all of ours are still green and look good.  The only thing we do different is all no-till, we never have had any SDS to speak of.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

We are seeing it here, not all fields but most.  A corncern.  Some beans are tall and some fields the rows are still visable, narrow or 30."   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Seeing severe damage here and also brown stem rot
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

No sds here but if we don't start getting some sunshine I'm starting to worry about white mold been cloudy foggy and rainy for over 2 weeks now. After the downpours last night there has to be alot of oats rye and wheat that will be so lodged and laying flat that the field losse and quality will be terrible. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Everywhere. Probably less than 10% of the fields don't have at least a few spots showing

A few fields are a week from it taking the whole field

Definitely bad and came in early enough to thump yield

We even have it in 2 varieties that have almost perfect SDS scores. Granted the area effected is much smaller in those fields compared to 2 other numbers. But it's still there which is scary
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I posted up Pictures of Many of the common diseases we have in S-beans down in crops  - Sometimes they can be confussed with each other - I'm seeing a little of everything - But why woundn't we - foggy every dam moring - 3 inchs this week and a inch last week . Anyway , Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I believe quite an area was setup for SDS to develop if the fungus is in your soil, From Purdue university "Sudden death syndrome (SDS) is one of the most important diseases of soybean in the Midwest. First discovered in Arkansas in 1971, SDS has spread throughout most of the North Central Region, including Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, and Tennes- see. SDS is most severe when soybean is planted early into cool, wet soils and when heavy midsummer rains saturate the soil. "

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-58-W.pdf
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Was seeing it show up in the old seep areas  of the field but has been replaced by a much worse disease "SFS"

S udden

F lood

S yndrome

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

QT weather shows southern mn northern ia to be inundated this week, not worried as we lost those Lorraine pot hole acres in June floods but may hurt the weed crop. On second thought no it won't .
0 Kudos