cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boarsnest1
Contributor

Heat is coming

The crops in the central corn belt look the worst I have seen since '93. That is the ones that are planted. Many, many acres have not been touched. Many, many acres look absolutely horrible.  Some crops planted on a select few days and on well  tiled ground look very good.  I have also read that Minn and a few other northern areas are fantastic. I have seen a few posters "cry wolf"  the last few years but I think national yields will be down this year. Looks like the heat is coming in the extended forcast and still lots of rain.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
northcorn
Contributor

Re: Heat is coming

"many many acres are not planted"   have you even looked at the planting progress

0 Kudos
Boarsnest1
Contributor

Yes, I know the data doesn't back me up, just a windshield observation. The corn is in but a lot not looking to good, beans I think a lot to go. There is more yellowing of corn everyday that looked good a couple of weeks ago. The good to excellent catagory is also very high. I don't believe everything I am told. You?  My point is I believe the top end is off of this crop and it will struggle to come in at trend.

0 Kudos
DW11
Veteran Contributor

In my backyard of SESD, we have had too much rain and the crops in low areas are suffering.  Denitrification will be a problem.  We still have potential for a good crop if the weather cooperates, but we are reducing top end yield potential. 

In NESD, some counties will be half prevented planting.   That amounts to a reduction of approximately 20 million bushels of corn in Brown county alone.  20 million here and 20 million there and pretty soon you are talking about something that moves markets. 

0 Kudos

Can you please tell us what area you are from.  We don't have tracking devices on our computers.  Are you in Ia. Mo.?

0 Kudos
waterloo41
Senior Reader

Not sure where you are from but here in Northeast Iowa we had perfect weather in March and April and have everything ahead of schedule and above average.The 1/4 inch rains we get every other day have made it hard to get beans sprayed but everything is above average here.With the corn rows all closed up and the ground on the wet side it will take an extended dry spell to hurt us,,I am more worried about high winds hurting the corn that is already 5 feet tall.

0 Kudos