cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aalrawash
Frequent Visitor

Help me start a butcher shop!

Hello,

I am an aspiring butcher that wants to change the meat industry with innovative ideas and a charity for the homeless and needed some budgetary direction for how much money I could make if I bought bulls at auction, had them processed, and sold in a standard retail butcher shop.

I just had a few questions on a standard 1200lb bull:
- Will I be getting most of the profit from the various steaks only or will the ground beef also yield most of the profits?
- On average, how much per hundred weight for a fully grown steer in a USA auction?
- How much would transporting one steer to a processing plant be per mile on average?
- How much would skin/cut/bag processing be per steer if I slaughtered it myself and left the rest to them?
- How much more would it be to dry age the carcass for one month prior to cut & bag?
- How much is cold storage per pallet?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Help me start a butcher shop!

Ishmael is going to move this to the cattle talk, but a 1200lb "bull" wouldn`t yield very good steaks.  

I guess the first lessons in running a locker is figure out how many Ribeyes you can keep for your own use without the owner noticing and size up the customer if you can pass off Holstein meat in place of the Angus that he brought in   Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
colesnider86
Senior Reader

I would check out the USDA AMS website to figure out you avg cost. Animal prices are very much influenced by location. For example, a steer in Tennessee carries less market value than a steer in Kansas to producers because of shipping cost to feedlots.  

If you choose to slaughter an animal it's up to you to finish the job through as further process won't accept just a carcass from somebayd b/c of the threat of pathogens. Also b/c you are wanting to sell this meat as retail you will need to pay for the service of a USDA inspector.

I would strongly advise you not to dry age a bull carcass. Because bulls are very lean with little marbling you would never be able to recapture your lost revenue as 60-70pc of product is lost when you dry age 60 days. Also, if you dry age a lean carcass you'll end up with jerky, as there is no fat to to keep the moisture level balanced. If your going to use Bull, just grind it.  

Overall looking at your questions I would recommend doing a bit more research before you dive in to opening a butcher shop, might be best to just to purchase primal cuts, quarter or sides from a local processor or try to work out a deal with local ranchers where you can influence growing conditions and animal standards.

0 Kudos
aalrawash
Frequent Visitor

I meant the type of male steer that they use to make steak, I think I mistakenly used bull. Can I buy those directly from a feedlot or do I have to go to an auction? Also, I am Muslim and need to Halal slaughter these animals that is why I wanted to slaughter myself. Can I just do it right in front of them? I'll probably go to this butcher school at the community college here in Phoenix before I start this project, but is it profitable to buy steer at auction, process it yourself, the then sell it retail?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Slaughterhouses are highly regulated in the US. You may want to look up the regulations/licenses/USDA standards before going much further. 

0 Kudos
aalrawash
Frequent Visitor

I'll just open my own slaughterhouse right here in Phoenix.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

As a human you are such a threat to the world that your right to start a new economic venture in the US is relegated to several layers of overlapping federal and state department agencies.  

You need to begin the dehumanization process immediately if you would like to be considered owner in one lifetime.

Start with registering at the IRS for the taxing entity you think you would like, and they will assign you the entity they think you deserve... Taxation begins on IRS tax id notification (will be in you mailbox before you get home from the interview.)

The final approval from all agencies will be followed by application for approval to employ from the labor department regardless of work force size expectations... Workman's Comp for the first 3 years (based on the aveage employee numbers of businesses in your state) will be due on application.  Refund process can begin just 3 years after the initial 3 year trial period, provided no late payments were made and no claims  were filed.

Total process should take less than 10 years plus the number of 3 day weekends times the number of agencies involved.

Uppon reciept of all necessay permit and the labor departments "Non Abusive Employer" merit badge, your "case" will be reviewed to make sure no laws or regulations have changed within the permitting time frame. --about 6 months will hopefully cover this delay.

If you would like to open the doors before the end of the year, donate $25,000 dollars to either the DNC or the Republican Party through a congressional office.  $50,000 or more will gain you express shipping and a waver of Labor department oversight.

Or if you don't want to be dehumanized.  Move this question to the Ag Forum where you can package and distribute bull in any quantity or quality you choose..... Shipping is government subsidized. Crossing state lines without the humiliating process of being weighed and tracked is common. ----------- Over there you can ask simple questions and be answered with far more simple answers.  There will be no questioning of your ancestry because they are all crossbred geniuses who would throw mom in the freezer to keep those Social security checks coming.  

There is honor among thieves.

I admire your ambition, yet wonder why you skipped high school business and government classes.  And I wonder why you went to the marketing forum without a commodity to sell????

just small thoughts.

0 Kudos
aalrawash
Frequent Visitor

Just trying to help the nation man...
0 Kudos
colesnider86
Senior Reader

Using/paying the college to process you animals would be the best option as they would/should be able to clear all the regulatory issues. From my experience, schools with an abattoir are generally accommodating to religious harvest methods. When you buy an animal at auction it usually isn't ready for slaughter and may need to be quarantined for a few days. Ideally, its best to work with a local farmer/rancher. Being locally grown goes a long way in the marketplace. Good luck.  

0 Kudos
aalrawash
Frequent Visitor

Your saying that I could pay the college with an abboitar to turn my live animal into boxed beef and they'll let me do the slaughter first then they'll cut/bag it for me?

Thanks!
0 Kudos