cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Here's a Toy for you All

I had one of you guys PM me asking questions about our arrival routes into KMSP.  Here's a pretty cool website that I use a lot just to play with now.  I took the liberty to set it up at KMSP airport.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport_status_bigmap.rvt?airport=KMSP

The main website is flightaware.com, and it shows all the IFR and participating VFR aircraft in the Air Traffic System across the nation.  It really is pretty cool.

The website that I seperated out for you, again, is on KMSP {Minneapolis}.  But you can move around the world basically from what I have set you up with, and see flights in and out of most anywhere.  It's fun to set up international airports like Amsterdam or Moscow, and see what going in and out.

As you click on an individual aircraft, the first line is the Aircraft ID {UAL932} and its type {CRJ}

The second line has a computer generated # that we use in Air Traffic control for ease of typing in items associated with the aircraft, and the aircrafts' speed, in knots.

The third line tells where the aircraft originated, it's destination, and the estimated arrival time at destination.  Notice, that it also gives a GREAT display of real time weather.  You can range in and out to make it larger and smaller.  Play with it - you'll get the idea.  

If you have questions - ask - I will try to answer them.  And I'm sure you will....

Jen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Here's a Toy for you All

It's fun to go down by the Gulf, and look for a little helicopter icon.  These generally are shuttling workers back and forth from oil platforms, and if you see a big long line of numbers, these are lat/long figures for where the rig is in the gulf.

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

If you look south of KMSP on I35 right now, you might see some aircraft making a circle.  These aircraft are being put into a holding pattern because of the number of flights into KMSP right now.

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Sorry guys, I looked at those data blocks a little closer.  The second line, first number is the altitude {370 = 37,000 feet MSL {mean sea level}, the second number is aircraft speed.  The data blocks are just a bit different that what we see on a real scope.

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Yeah Jen thats a fun toy to play with , I have used it before - The funny one was about 2 months ago - Every Sunday moring around 10:30 or so - a 747  would pass just to the South of me - Slow and low - Heading into CVG = Cincinnati -  I came in and pulled up the site - Now the funny thing - It's a freigher coming out of ??? Alaska , Can't remember the name - will have to look it back up . Wonder if there hauling in Lobster from the Deadlist Catch ? lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Anchorage is a major airport for freight due to its location between Asia and the US.  An unbelievable amount of cargo ranging from cosmetics to thoroughbred horses move thru there.  Cargo gets sorted and re-routed to different US destinations.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Yes, 76cat, you're right, and KCVG is the sorting terminal for UPS for all UPS air freight. Because of all the flights that are generated because of UPS, the Air Traffic Center is staffed more at night than during the day. I have more to say about that, and will after the morning weather update.

Jen
0 Kudos