cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Here's an Idea For Fools at USDA

I Like to ponder and solve problems that I am faced with. Government Agency's not so much. The latest NASS fiasco points that out in spades, but I am not actually that surprised, because much of what they do is flawed deeply. It is proven to them and the World time and time again. And guess what? They will do the same thing again next report and next year and the next. A fool does the same thing over and over and expects different results. USDA.....Fools. OK lets fix this one problem. On July 15th all insured acres must be certified in the upper-midwest cornbelt. It is simple to ascertain % of acres that are insured and adjust accordingly. Any acres in the south that has a late date certification, go ahead with the foolish survey method, that the USDA today relies on to everybody's chagrin. Do not adjust planted acres until after the 15th of July, because you do not know anyway. With a computer network on the 16th you can have the numbers to the almost parts of acres on each planted crop in the upper Midwest. Anybody that can file acres late, use your old worthless survey method. Boom Problem solved......Only one problem with this for any Government agency, it is too easy and perfect. They like "Close enough fort Government work"........I like to it right or don't do it all!.......JP

11 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Here's an Idea For Fools at USDA

Great idea John but then there is the accountability factor which that word and USDA don't reside in the same sentence. I've said that for years why exact acres should be known through certification and crop insurance figures. If an acre isn't planted that is simple math. Oh well, at least we get a front row seat in the game of ignorance...MikeM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

They go into a field and march 100 steps in and a hundred steps to the right and if the water is over their boots they go 200 steps top the left. Or mainly they yield check where it is convenient.

Meanwhile farmers argue that the reports are worthless until in the fall when the bins are bursting and millions of bushels are piled outside. But even then farmers will be certain there is a price stifling conspiracy at the UDSA.

Just when are you going to admit that they are right after all?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Why not accept that they are right.....That is a n easy answer.....becuse they are wrong and everybodsy including them knows so. Their is not 97.4 million acres of Corn planted. The better question is why a Government agency puts out a number they know is wrong. Could some one please answer that honestly?......Do they not know they look like imbeciles?.....I say it is flawed people running a flawed agency, stuck in 50's technology. I would think they would learn how to solve problems and use computers in todays world. But then they might not need 100's of thousands of employees.......JP

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I think the USDA  employee`s wages should be in direct proportion to the accuracy of the reports that they put out, if they are too far wrong ....well they just don`t get paid that year Smiley Happy

In private business, they`d go broke with such a record.  Perhaps, farming the reporting out to a independent agency would be a better use of taxpayer money.  Rush Limbaugh has a 99.8% accuracy rating...that`s what you need to make it in the private sector.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

John, really liked your analysis and your follow up.  Kudo's to you!

Being from Ontairo, explaining the timelines helps me understand how the system could be made better & more accountable.

Now will it happen?  usda & accountability seem to be at different ends of the spectrum. 

(Notice I won't give them capitals because I do not think they deserve them!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What does  Rush say about the  " Gold  Market '' now - keep buying ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I think Glen Beck was the gold guy, but I don`t think he was giving short term advice, I mean if someone told you to buy the Dow and tomorrow it dropped 200 points, long term would you have nesessarily been given good or bad advice?   Rush hawks Carbonite computer backup and Mahindra tractors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We are not going to see an estimate this year under 13 billion, we were lucky to get the last one under 14 billion.  I haven't sold enough,that is for sure, but I don't have my crop yet, but it is looking fair to above average.   We are at v8 - v9 stage in corn.  Wind has been a problem.  Corn is being sprayed at this stage all around me without drops, this is off label, interesting year to say the least.  AS for tables, we worked on one that came up with 102 million acres of corn planted, good thing that one wasn't available to Joe.  Moving the planted number to July 15th and using certification numbers for that would simplify the process.  Could happen, just not in my TIME.

edit:   Also remember record bean production in SA, did that cause any of you not to plant beans this year.  So the drop in corn price will have negligible effect on SA plantings of the safrinha crop of corn.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

where did the 99.8  come from  --- interesting number for a guy that has had 4 wives --- 

0 Kudos