cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Here we go ----SNOW and WIND

Big snow flakes coming down this morning 

Ulysses ks   --- 5 inches of snow when we went through there an hour ago....  Forcast for around 24 inches in the next 48 hours with wind as high as 50 mph gusts....

What a year ..... One of those to tell the grand kids about...maybe   fire and ....snow??   

So far this one is spotty and the first shot of moisture last evening was rain .... over 1 inch.....  doesn't have the same feel as that mess in 1957.

quote from a NOAA article

"Panhandle blizzard of 1957"........ one of the 5 worst snowstorms in US History and all occured before 1960.

A widespread 10-20 inches of snow fall across the area with reported snow drifts of 15 to 30 feet! Travel was impassible with many snowplows becoming stranded as well. Across the Panhandle region 20 percent of the cattle population was lost from this storm.

I remember it as much more snow but on the level it may not have been area wide...... we were in dead center  ...  Wind is still the deadly factor.... cattle died in draws or behind protection where if the trees were 25 feet tall the snow drift was 25 feet tall for a quarter of a mile.   In that instance, those shelter belts are not your friend...

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Here we go ----SNOW and WIND

Wow you Kansas boys and girls have had quite the year, what`s next raining frogs?   Hope things straighten out, there`s a lot of year left.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

BA   the 57 snow was fun to live through when your  age 7......

I quickly learned respect for my fathers resoursefulness.

But facts are late snows can be big but they are always wet....... and always lead to good dry land crops.....   they just don't come often enough.....

Cattle .......... that is a different story......  fires go after mother cows....... but in 1957 the cattle were in iowa and nebraska...... in 2017  the nation parks 75 % of its beef supply in this area on it's way to the box.....and an ever growing but smaller % of it's milk production, as well as pork......

I can't imagine the losses a big blizzard would create now.....  I am sure we would fight our way through it but the meat end would be in trouble.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

BA, we vanilla ice-cream farmers here in the Mid-West could not farm and survive in Western KS.  You almost have to be born there to make it work.  They are one tuff breed.

sw, hang in there, our thoughts and prayers are with you.  I can just here the wind blowing. 

0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

Would you like to trade it for 8.5" of rain with another 4 on the way?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

No. I would not trade. Trick is to get comfortable with continuous adjustments and knowing you don't have all the answers. Different issues every year.

Consultants can spend u out of business trying to fix eveeything every year. You gotta cash flow some problem every year.
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

now to make matters worse..........a BLIZZARD WARNING.

too bad a couple of buses of cbot traders didn't get stuck in a snow drift in NW Kansas !

www.weather.gov/gld

www.weather.gov/ddc

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Eastern Iowa is nothing like the plains, but there is a lot of cold rain and standing water.  We'll have to see how the crops emerge but it's possible there could be some replanting, at least in parts.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Either way there is a mess in this one. Snow in northern ks and nebr Or rain from south. The rotation is well formed and loaded with water.
For a bonus it's taking its sweet time.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Would you like to trade it for 8.5" of rain with another 4 on the way?

Oh boy here we go - lol   Next DB will be telling us he had to get his back hoe out and scoop the mud off the high way : )

8 and half inch's ??? You meant 8 and a half tenths - right ?? : )))))))    

0 Kudos