cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Hey ECIN....Results?

Ken:

After reading your great article in Praree Farm in October....we want to know the results!

Spill dude.

Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Hey ECIN....Results?

Time - Due to the later harvest this past fall - I have not seen the final results to either of the plots yet , But I have a pretty good idea on how it will turn out  Smiley Happy - I did recieve an e-mail from Kiersten and that Bob had finished the plot work for the fungicide plot - So I expect to see something this coming week - or when ever they go back to work - Heck that may not be till spring ! lol

I do know that on Presidents Day - Our County extension educator will be holding his yearly meeting for private app. license ,  After the field day here last summer - they decided to have Jim , King Corn and Kiersten come down and go over all the results from the test plots at the class - as well as some of there other plot work - sort of a follow up to what we did and how it worked out  OR didn't ,  I  will post up the results as soon as I get them . 

I can say  that my 2 pass app. looked great on paper - And thats about it , the extra pass the past 2 years have not shown any yield advantage and we had two complety different seasons - so some pretty good data in a short period of "Time "  

I know I'm looking forward to this season's plot work , I may ? may ? Add a bean plot this year with Shaun Casteel to go along with the corn and fungicide plots - just depends on what they want to do and the weather .

Hope you had a great holiday

Ken

timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Kind of sounds like the standing joke around here...if you use every product that the supplier says will get you 5 extra bushels...you will still have the same yield as before you started adding all the exotic panther p.....ss. Smiley Surprised

We've never gotten a response to most things many are doing...fungicide, 6-24-6 in furrow, fumic acid, 10-34-0 in the starter, seed treatments, high populations, high n rates....etal.

Gypsum, lime, thiosol with the NH3, variable rate N and seeding, those things always pay, but not the limitless additives.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Time, obviously you're just not using the correct combo.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
ihtractortherap
Senior Contributor

Hey Time
Are you the guy that says not to sell before the ephinany. What say you this year.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Time - Thats why I consentrate most of my plot work with Purdue - I haven't tried any snake oils in a long time , you did bring up a couple of things I have tried thou - The fungicide trial was with a pretty new product call Fortix - there calm to fame is that you can apply to corn as early as V-6 - for season long control - to me - thats a pretty bold statement , From the view I had - I could not see any difference in yield or plant disease - will interesting in what the final deal will say , but everybody is promoting them on a " Plant health issue " may more so than disease controll - If it to dry they will help . if it's to wet , they will help , and on and on and on - A fungicide is-- to me only to be used as a treatment when you do have a problem , not as insurance as some companies promote .

As far as in forrow starter -I have not tryied it - so --- this is only my opinion here - its a waste of time and money - apply only ? 3 to 5 gallon ? in farrow ? There is not enough juice to help in my book , Plus - if its in forrow - which way dos the seed grow ? Mine heads south  = ( down ) - so how do's fert in row - really help that much ? I really likt the 2x2 and I did drop my 10-34-0  for this year - if your soils have good P - then I don't think you need to add it in row  + at what ?? 560 a ton and 28 at ? 280 ? I'm going with 10 gallon of 28 = 31 units of N to get it going - may jump that up to 15 gph = 45 units .

Seed treatment , It comes on the seed -- but !  how dos it control the bugs ? don't they have to eat on it first ? I did a 3 year plot work on my own , back 7 or 8 years ago - I added some insecticide along with my spray at preemerge - every year I did stand counts -  I lost 1,000 plants in the non insecticide strips - thats a few bu.s there . But thats not a good IPM practice - Smiley Sad

Well better get - the BOSS , needs some help - Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Time what is your source of gypsum? And if you don't mind what rate and cost/acre? I started using gypsum on some land I irrigate with very salty water. Between the gyp and never-till I've seen water infiltration and yields improve over the last few years. Mine is quarried. Cost about $30/ton delivered and spread
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I thought the in furrow thing was to get a quicker start and therefore earlier finish. Which equals less propane.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

We could never see it at harvest ---- even in dry down..     Always looks that way for the first month.  The one thing it did for us was to get it bigger quicker to limit the exposure to sand blasting in wind ---- but that held true only certain years.  More true for milo than corn.

Somewhat dependant on soil quality as well.

0 Kudos
crophugger
Senior Contributor

Would say if you live in a warmer soil climate in the spring you can get by without starters but if in colder soils seems to help.