cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hey Hobby....

Man, I don't know what you folks over there west of I-35 did to honk off the weather gods, but they sure look to have it in for you folks with rain, and more rain this week....

am sure you will take some and send the rest our direction

good luck, be safe, and keep the pictures coming

Ray J

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Hey Hobby....

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1409225645

One of the wettest Aug that I can remember.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Wind - that map has our area of SCMN at 2.5" to 3.5" for August.

At about 1.5" for an actual total it is a little off.  We must be in the donut hole.Smiley Wink

Up until last week we were living on dew - morning dew that is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe the three I states are going to have as much fun getting there big crop 7n the bin as we are trying to get these small grains harvested. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Young friend of mine from Council Bluffs, Iowa

Called me this morning while on his way to 

Sioux city to the planning meeting to call his

Unit into possible sand bag duty.

About .60 here so far

Farms out in Kansas got from 4 to 4.40 last night. 

West side of Rooks co got up to 6.40

Roads washed out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Lane Co. KS farm had a nice 1.5" last night.  If they miss an early freeze will make 70bu or more.

We don't hear much about the size of the milo crop.  Hit or miss is normal for KS.  .75" here just now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Raining here again. This will be the end to the oats I'm afraid sprouted and growing another crop. Rye heads were laying on the ground just falling off. Wheat lets hope it drys out shortly lost about 3 lbs test weight so far if the color gets any worse maybe can sell it as white wheat. lots of farmers haven't hardly turned a wheel yet. Maybe the big crop goes to ma nature yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Just like you Cat I'm the hole in the Kansas donut. Reading about nice rains all around me but can't buy a drop in my neighborhood. Don't necessarily want the heavy rain Rooks and Trego County received, but I would take that 4" over a 7 day period.

Hobby, bet you radishes are growing like mad. Gonna graze or hay them or just let em winter kill?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

No cattle, no fences, no compaction,

Just there to try to poke holes in the hard pan down about 12 inches. I'm sure wishing the holes would have been there before last night's frog strangler. Lots of erosion out there last night. Roads washed out and fields washed. Some of Rooks co got five to six inches in less than two hrs. Just can't soak in that fast even though they were dry enough to take it if it had come in a steady 24 hr event.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe our climate change naysayers will change their mind now that those that find their desert farms have been converted into a corn belt garden of eden. The bad news is those high priced pivots will be worthless.

0 Kudos