cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Hey Mike M from Woden...

We were out on a crop scouting trip last Friday....stopped at your place, but only found a seed customer who was picking up some product......boy, things sure change north of highway 18 !!

We went through downtown Woden......have you broken the news to the city fathers that the streets will not be needed to hold the 2013 corn crop...??

best regards,

Ray J

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Hey Mike M from Woden...

Bullish ray J?? It was an eye opener wasn't it?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

second trip up there in last month

put on 850 miles since July 4 on 3 different excursions..

pretty easy to be bullish from 4.90 CZ right now.....at least until we might get a good soaker

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Respect your opinion. Trade has no idea. Mother nature has a cruel sense of humor.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sorry I missed you Ray. That would have been a treat. I was up north planting and replanting some beans for the last time. Yes, things have gone to the dogs here in the center of our universe. A lot of pp acres. A lot of fields with huge divots. A lot of fields that you compare it's progress to the calendar and its pretty sad. The good corn around here won't tassel for 2 weeks and I have trouble calling it good corn. I have a small field 3 miles north of Britt on some sand that I planted on April 28. Sat under 12 inches of snow. Last year in the drought it averaged 33 bu/acre. Could very well be my best corn this year. As I type this post and fairly strong storm just passed by with some intense rain. Guessing a short half inch. Last time it rained here was 2 weeks ago. The more you get the more you need. Give me a heads up on your next trip. That truly would have been a pleasure...MikeM
0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

So, Ray are you sticking with only 500k less corn acres in IA? Lots of us respect your opinion and if not we would like to know. For my part, it seems more like 2 or 3 mil lost acres based on the aerail pics I've seen and just some quick math on the affected area.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Time, I believe the range I gave was 500-750,000 of corn PP.....and I am sticking with that range, although it may be at the upper end of that range instead of the middle....

one of the issues yet to be resolved will be abandoned acres.....Iowa traditionally harvests a high percentage of the corn crop...something like 98%.....one can find fields where only 80-85% looks harvestable....not sure how they fit something like that into their programs...

I was surprised at the amount of fieldwork still going on since it was July 5......which meant a few less fields that had nothing done to them than I expected to see....but once again, I may not have covered enough of the area to make any kind of absolute judgements...

Probably go back in another 3 weeks.....

In all that driving, I only saw a couple of corn fields that looked like they would tassle in less than 2 weeks or less...if we have normal summer weather, which to me means enough rain to get a normal maturation of the crop, it's going to be a much longer harvest window, and getting to know the propane guy once again...

Ray J

0 Kudos
Advisor

ray, glad you visited us. I'm responsible for some of the uneven corn around woden. gotta live with it at this point. at least 1000 acres of pp in a one mile circle around the little town and we are , by far, not the worst area.Thompson to lake mills to st. ansgar to osage would be.  I was told things get alot better west of emmetsburg. SIL visited family at everl iowa. He counted 29 prevented planting fields from emmettsburg to ventura. counted only the ones adjacent to 18. I'm hoping my 6 inch tall replantcorn will pollinate by aug 20 and harvest sometime in nov. maybe??? .6 rAIN NW of woden last night.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Ida, for some reason I thought you were farther east at least 30-40 miles.....

I've been hearing that north/south highway 4 is a bit of a dividing line, with fewer issues west of there....

on Thursday, we went for a loop across SC Iowa......we came onto a couple of big patches of PP ground in Lucas and Wayne counties, and there is certainly a "shock factor" when you see things that look so far from normal

well, those recently planted beans now have a chance to come up pretty quickly, eh??

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Hey Ray I am south of Mike about 6 miles and west 5.  I didn;t get any measurable rain last night and we could sure use it. I have one farm that is very sandy it had corn dieing on it yesterday.  Let us know befopre you come up again. I would sure like the chance to meet you also.

0 Kudos