cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Hey Mike M from Woden...

two million acres in prime 200 bushell iowa farmland in pp Time.  It is really hard for the garden spots out east to make up for those zeros.  Seems in the future we have soome big surprises coming.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Still some soybeans being planted to the north of that area in MN this weekend but the rest of the tillage going on here is the weeds and PP acres getting prepared for cover crop. Just finally fit to get across that ground and yet the compacted areas and sand/gravel needed a rain which some of us picked last night. Hard to believe that we needed a rain but still could get stuck doing tillage.
0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

Now Mr. Buck sir...I was just struck by Cat in the Hat for some reason? 

Mr. Buck Sir, 2,000,000 x 200 = is only 400 mil bushels.  (and their trend is not 200 anyway)

Frankly, IN/OH alone can make up that shortfall plus quite a bit. Unless we get a 5" rain in the next few days to kill things, there will be field after field pushing 225 in IN/OH, easily 30 over trend, or 35 over average. 

The rest of the IA/MN acres are the question. Jenny's pictures are horrendous, but does one picture paint a  reality or an illusion?

Crop scouts at NASS don't agree with her pics. I will accept her opinion and not the NASS folks as they are required by their system to be overly optomistic on crop conditions in my opinion, plus the NASS system never catches ponded areas inside field perimeters. This is why I think her concerns are to be respected, but they must also be kept in perspective.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Time,   Here in NW Ohio we HAVE recieved 4-8 inches of rain over the last week to 10 days.......And we have killed things...The soybeans are starting to turn yellow and die in the low spots.   We are not the garden spot any longer. And even if we were, Ohio could not possibly make up the losses in Iowa.

0 Kudos
Advisor

it not so much the pp acres although i would say lookinbg at least 2 million. Its the ponds and drown outs and then the fringe areas from the ponds that will yield 50%  or less.

We had a bumper crop of corn and soy coming in southern Mi now the heavy rains are killing it .

0 Kudos
Advisor

Our soft red wheat crop is in danger now. Will have to hog the fields trying to get it . Smut moving in , not sure of vom yet, test weight may suffer and hopefully she wont sprout

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You say field after field pushing 35 over average, but the NASS folks are overly optimistic.  I'm not argueing with you, I haven't seen these fields, but wow.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Yes gurly

30 over average is hard to believe when satellite pics say 185 to 195.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

2009 was a high water mark year for the country as far as usda says. Iowa and MN combined produced 3.7 billion bushels. Ohio and Indiana produced 1.46 billion. Just last year MN had a respectable crop, 165 bu average with a total production of 1.375 billion bushels. Ohio produced a little more then a 1/3 of that at 449 million bushels, Indiana was at 597 million bushels. Iowa sucked compared to normal with a 137 average and 1.877 billion bushel production. Ohio and Indiana need to work very hard because some of highest producing areas were hit hard this spring.
0 Kudos