cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Hey "Time "

Just wondering what you think on F C Stone coming out with IN at 188 ??  

In my part of the world - the early preplant N corn and Early side dress lost a amount of N - How much ? TIME will tell in a month .  I also have to wonder aout all the rain we have got in the last month , to me there was a lot ot ponding - what did that do to the roots ? I have to believe it killed some off and it will fall down before the combine gets there .

Hope to do some kernel and pop counts on some of mine ( in the test plot ) I have some 180 unit rates a long with 210 , 180 , 150 , 120and 90 - that should tell me what the corn might make or what it don't .

I still think that 188 is to much , The recorp last year was what ? 177 and to add another 11 bpa - with wet holes , lost N , disease -- And that just might be the black swan - ear disease they didn't see coming .  Away thanks .

Ken

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Hey "Time "

What n rate was the correct one?
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

89 Thats part of the study with Purdue - Won't know till we harvest - last year was 200 - the year before it was 190 . we tell yeah when we do it .

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Hey Ken.....What % OM do your soils have ? Getting any N release naturally or do you have too supply all with 46%  or 28 %  /32% ??? 

John

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

MARKET COMMENTARY September 02, 2014

By Raymond Jenkins

Considering how the rest of the world of commodities is being treated today, perhaps corn being down just 1-2 cents should be considered a victory. The screen says gold is down over $20 per ounce, crude oil off $3 per barrel, and unleaded gas down over 7 cents per gallon. The gains are to be found over in livestock futures with fat cattle, feeder cattle, and hogs all posting strong gains today.

The calendar has turned to September and that means we will see more daytime highs in the 70’s and not so many at 85 or higher as we go through the month. August has turned out to be a wet month (3.3 inches at my house just the last week!) and that means the lawn has needed attention far more times this August than I had planned. With the forecast calling for more rain Sunday night, I was forced to mow even though I could see spots of standing water and various other degrees of wetness, but am glad I got r done as the short inch of rain Sunday night just means it will need mowing again by the end of the week!

We have corn bought on weekly time of shipments to start this month, but it also means folks may hit us extremely hard the first couple of days each week----and that is exactly what is happening today!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

The statewide corn crop is clearly better than last year. Is it 5 bu or 10 bu better? I have no idea. It could have been 15 better with a little better luck on rainfall, and a little better management.

Our yield checks show kind of hard to believe potential that has been nipped at the edges by too much water. The flooding early cost us enough stand to make record corn hard to get, not impossible, but tough. We currently think above 200 is very possible with a normal frost in October. Careful on thinking some of the yellow corn won't yield. One field I was in near Columbus in was clearly denitrified and still had a 185 yield check. Not the 220 it should have been, but still way above the fear.

There are lots, maybe 35% of the state with corn over 220. Maybe 10% below 120, a just a huge bunch of 200 bu corn out there, so 188 might be high, but it probably doesn't matter, there won't be lots of places to put it all if we get a normal harvest.

jmo

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

One field I was in near Columbus in was clearly denitrified and still had a 185 yield check. Not the 220 it should have been, but still way above the fear.

Time - Thats what I'm seeing here too -- Just think -- what if did not run short ? We Would be known as the new Iowa - lol 

there won't be lots of places to put it all if we get a normal harvest.

HAve you been in my Area ? some are thinking the same thing here  - New bins are still going up around here - 2 just started last week .

BTW John - organic matter runs from 2.2 to 3.4 on most  of my dirt - a few lower - some higher . and yes we do get some N from it but most comes from 28 for me .

Thanks

ken

0 Kudos