cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

High nitrate levels?

http://www.kcci.com/news/report-nitrate-levels-spiking-in-des-moines-raccoon-rivers/29865266

Less than 10% of normal amount of anhydrous N was applied this Fall because of  frozen ground in my area of the Raccoon River basin.  And very little if any rain has fallen in the last three weeks.

So, what is causing this high nitrate level?  Decaying leaves?  I doubt very much that it is unused farmer's fertilizer this time.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: High nitrate levels?

We're probably gonna hear about liquid manure being spread on frozen soil because of the early freeze up. that could be valid, but first place that should be checked is city water treatment discharge up stream.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Just my cent and a halfs worth - but I very well be coming from Lawn Care - fall is a big time to appy , all on top of the lawn -

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Nitrates are a naturally occurring thing.

They have tests going back before the advent of commercial fert

They had high levels then too

The whole thing comes back to stream flow.

Been a while since a run off event.

Just got past a record setting freeze up event early in the year.

The drainage basin for the three rivers that all come together there

Are all draining one of the most fertile black dirt areas in the world.

It all comes back to "dilution is the solution"  low stream flow will 

Almost always lead to high nitrate levels. Absolutely the nature of the beast.

If anything agriculture this year is probably contributing to a decrease in what 

It would have been with out nitrate loving/using crops. Very easily would be 25% 

Higher without all the intensive management practices upstream.  They should thank a farmer for that.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Well Hobby, there you go again!!  Bringing a common sense answer to a question.

Makes a fella wonder about the knowledge level of the people reporting the stories we hear on the news.

For example:  http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/Father-son-charged-with-stealing-soybeans/17487114

I like the part about them "entering a crib".

Do people really store soybeans in a crib??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Surely a high percentage of industrial livestock manure gets applied in the fall.

Don't think this is a terribly hard question....only hard trying to figure out a way to excuse agriculture.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I like the part about them "entering a crib".

Do people really store soybeans in a crib

Well 76 - Well we did for years - a real pain in the - you know what -  We had 3 ear corn cribs that we put in a metal liner in them - But after that - was it still a crib - or now was it a bin ?

I hated them **bleep** things - held 2500 to 3,000 bu. and scooped out about half . lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Yeah, my Dad gave that up when he didn't have a bunch of sons and an equal number of scoops any more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Are you saying your tiles aren't running???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Some are and some not.  

0 Kudos