cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

High protein soft white wheat in the northwest

For the second year in a row many of our growers are reporting protein numbers that are above spec for pastry flour production. This hot weather is sure causing problems with pastry wheat quality.
On the flip side, our hard red spring wheat growers are producing excellent quality wheat due to a high protein requirement.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Re: High protein soft white wheat in the northwest

White club for higher protein blending is more than $1 premium to SWW so perhaps it evens out. Sub par production on the SWW @ 75 bu/ac. The spring wheat may be higher protein yet.

They used to tell us to segregate by protein to get a premium but that never happened. They wanted to buy it all for the same price. Yet I bet I'll hear the story again.

Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Well dang, my issue is I have very specific customer specs to meet and when the wheat does not meet spec I have no market except for the organic feed market which is $3.90/bu less. Can you move some 11% protein Brindage 96 SWW? It is certified organic. About 10,000 bushels.
I also have maybe 100,000 bu of other SWW varieties with 11+ protein. All organic.
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Looks like our Idaho growers may have trouble with Falling numbers due to recent rains. Test results back next week
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Palouser,
What part of the Palouse do you farm?
0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I'm just north of Pullman and just east of Palouse, Wa. Mainly farm across the line in ID.

Brundage is considered a very good milling wheat. Some brewing also. I grow it but not as organic.

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Thanks Palouser. Our grower said the same thing, too bad this contract didn't pan out. I'll check out the brewing option and may be see if Great Western is interested in it.
I remember going to Moscow in my college days during our road trips to see WSU play OSU. At the time that was the only hope either team had of winning a game during the football season! We knew one of us had to win.,... heh!
Have you taken part in any of the quinoa trials WSU has put together lately? That is a crop with a huge market if we can figure out how to Americanze production. Also difficult to choose amongst the 6000 varieties the Bolivians raise.
0 Kudos