cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Hobby.....

How's the radishes looking?  Looks like there might have been a little shower move through the area to keep em good and moist.  Any pictures?

Neighbor of mine planted oats, peas and radishes about 10 days ago into next years milo ground. Growing good and you could row them this morning.  I'll try to get a picture or two tomorrow and get it posted.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Re: Hobby.....

Shaggy,
Out of curiosity what does the radish seed cost you?
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Can't remember James, I'd need to check my invoice from this past spring.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Here's a price list to a popular cover seed dealer out of Nebraska.  Not sure how up to date it is.

https://greencoverseed.com/price-list

0 Kudos
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

How many LBS/ acre on the radish seed?

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I'm not sure on the pounds per acre if seeding only radishes, but I used a blend of 40# oats, 20# forage peas, 4# turnips and 2# radishes.  I think if radishes are planted alone 6# is about the rate you want to seed but I'm not 100% positive.

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

That's pretty steep priced annual ryegrass. The growers here are getting about$0.24/lb to grow it. Radish seed prices to growers are getting$2.00/lb. the barley seed is more expensive than organic here. Let me know what you need for cover crop seed, Shaggy, and I'll just give you the phone number of a grower and make you both happy!
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Who said I wasn't already happy?  Not sure purchasing seed for less than 100 acres from someone 2000 miles away would be a good choice.  Is this grower going to show up at my place and innoculate the seed for me an hour before I convey them into the drill using his seed caddy at no additional charge?  Buying local has its advantages.  Not trying to shut you off, but I'm a big believer in loyality and my current supplier is a good friend of mine and is a very straight shooter in the seed selling business.  Being 5 miles up the road is nice also.

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Ha! I'm glad you are already happy Shaggy. I bet the seed comes from here in the first place though. Didn't mean to offend you. I've never heard of inoculating radish seed though. A single pallet can be shipped to the Midwest for around $600...FYI. Have a good one.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Not offended, we found it is easier to inoculate the entire blend instead of only the peas and then blending them in later.  Are the radishes you're referring to the one and only "Tillage Radish", or are they some other type?  Tillage radishes work extremely well as a cover crop particularly for the size they grow to be.  If your unfamilar, just google them.  They are almost becoming a tool for no-tillers in this area.  There seem to be just a few more acres seeded each year.

0 Kudos