cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyjd
Contributor

Re: How Good is Indiana Corn ?

By my kernal counts and past experience that looks like 185 bu corn at best.

16*32*32K/90=182 bushels an acre.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

20130812_151937_resized.jpg

Hey EC, the above ears are from good conventionally tilled black dirt in Tipton County. Make at least 280 don't you think 🙂

9 tenths in July/August

For full disclosure, here are some ears from 6 miles further west in Tipton County, long term no-till

with cover crops (AND 2.5" of rain in July/August).

20130812_152135_resized.jpg

And finally some ears from the poor dirt in Hamilton County.20130812_152408_resized.jpg

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

Yup that sure is the 270 average the bears where talking about.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Man o man if I had known that is all you have to have to brag I could have posted better than that out of South Podunk Country. You guys just pulling our leg by posting up pictures of the second ear on the stalk?

Not a picture up there that a seed salesman would want in his sales brochure. Maybe need to shave the population down a little? That is going to be a record setting bin busting year? What about kernal depth?

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

It's a little early to talk kernel depth.

But by my totally subective experience, corn finishing with a long, cool fill period will have heavy kernel weight. That assumes adequate moisture and there are streaks, as Ken says, where there's not.

Normal frost would be plenty enough to finish even with lower than normal GDDs; very early would be a problem.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Now Hobby, kernel depth can't be known till we see how August/Sept finishes out. Normally, a cool summer produces AMAZING kernel depth, so I would expect that the high water table soils, or farms that caught rain, will be quite deep kernels. For the rest of the area, and those not so lucky, and the 87 to 90 degree temps forecasted for early next week will just end the game and produce very shallow kernels.

So, the serious answer to your question is that it is not knowable yet. EC's area of dryness has spread much farther than many think.

0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

Ken, that map is full of crap. It doesn't show any yellow here. Last week when everyone else got 9 tenths I got a little less than 2 tenths. It is really starting to show up on the high ground. Still plenty of time for the beans, maybe this weekend will bring some rain.

The top is deffinantly come off the top of our yields. A good rain will still make a huge difference, even in the corn.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Forgot to mention "sarcasm button off"

My corn is all over the yield map. from fired to the ear, to two ears. some of the lighter soil going to be pretty nubbiny.

We are getting a wonderfull light rain/drizzle this morning here in the SW portion of

the "we don't count" part of Ioway.

This will help the corn and especially the beans finish. Might just get to use that new to me combine this year for more than just shed filler. I am going to expect to see the yield monitor go from somewhere around 80 to the 300 area this year. (that Nodaway silt is going to produce) This rain will help in bu/ acre, no doubt about it here. Not a big amount but a God send none the less.

Did not even have any hay mowed.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Excellent comments 3020. Although, beans are losing pod filling days that cannot be recovered. A big rain would keep em above 50 maybe, but there will be no 70's this year. Last year was the perfect bean year and those only happen once every 20 years or so. Didn't expect perfect, but a little rain in August would be nice.

Maybe we can whip up that depression in the gulf into a hurricane!

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Ron ----  I don't know what happened here -- The map I posted up this morning had Rush and Shelby on it in yellow - Do know man ?

Totally agree with Time and 3020 - about the beans - well maybe next year -- As far as the corn - man we need that rain this weekend to keep what we have ! I was hopeing to keep it in the low 200's - been looking at a new to me combine - lol -- also --well maybe next year .

BTW the ears were 14 by 37 , 14 by 34 ,  18 by 32 , and 14 by 26 -- pop was 35,000  - just go's to show how big a player some rain is . OR lack of .

Ken

0 Kudos