cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Here's Something to Ponder

SE Missouri corn planted on April 7 is still at least two weeks from black layer, andprobably 4 from 25% moisture.   Corn normally planted on that date would be ready for harvest.   In fact, most guys down there were counting on August shelling to get the Premium which is SUBSTANTIAL. 

Bottom line.   April 7 planted corn is 3-4 weeks behind normal maturation.

Secondly....I have corn here planted at the end of April in Se Illinois.   My corn has huge ears, green plants (we're getting short on moisture now)...however there is a disturbing appearance to the ears.   Generally kernels will deepe in color from pale yellow to dark prior to dent.    Our kernels are plump, and are still in early milk stage.   Squeeze one and it explodes like a giant tick.   This is not normal, yet I am seeing some kernels exhibiting signs of denting.   I think the plant is still trying to make it to dough stage, but the cold temps are screwing it up....might be getting low on moisture to keep filling...hence the denting.

the ears I picked at 7:00 am this morning felt like they had been in the refrigerator overnight....49 degrees.   If our corn is a month behind planted at a normal date...W T F is going to happen to the LATE PLANTED CORN.  I have some silking this morning...replanted in late May.

We're screwed.....and alot of experts and talking heads running their pie holes about how wonderful things are....no doubt believe in Flying Unicorns with Skittles coming out of their ass.

Jack frost is going to come knocking....and even if he arrives at his appointed time....damage is going to be inevitable...more than likely severe.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: How Good is Indiana Corn ?

Had 51 degrees in northern tipof va this morning. Everything looks great over here, but this is just weird. I don't even have to keep ice in the cooler over night.... It's still August folks!
0 Kudos
Contributor

images.jpg

images1.jpg

images2.jpg

• Indiana is the fifth-leading corn producer in the nation. $32 billion in corn was marketed by Indiana farmers last year.
  • The corn you commonly see in Indiana farm fields is NOT sweet corn – the kind you eat from the cob or from a can. Most of the corn grown in Indiana is used to feed pigs, cows and chickens.
  • Livestock, poultry and dairy farmers are corn’s biggest customers – using almost six million bushels every year or almost half of the U.S. corn crop.

See More at  http://www.earthendelight.com

Organic Mustard Yellow , Organic Ginger

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Hey ECIN, these pics from one of your fields?
0 Kudos