cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

How much nitrogen does it take to plant a crop of spring wheat in the Dakotas?

Is $11 wheat enough to justify switching out some soybeans to more spring wheat with the extra nitrogen required?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Re: How much nitrogen does it take to plant a crop of spring wheat in the Dakotas?

Keep  in  mind  , the  crop  insurance  will  be  a  factor   -   -   -

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Crop insurance, how so?

Are you saying they will plant spring wheat without fertilizer & just collect crop insurance?  

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Oh, that would never happen.   (he says with sarcasm) 

k-289
Esteemed Advisor

I've  heard  tell  in  conversation ,  $oclism  is  bad , ,  un-TILL  the  FED crop  insurance  check ,   hits  my  mailbox  -  -  -

Even  lending  institutions , HIGHLY  RECOMEND ,  in  the  western  corn  belt ,   US  281  corridor ,   250  miles  East  or  West  of  it ,  border  to  border  Can- Mex ,    maybe , might , could ,  if  certain condition$  prevail  -  -  -  

0 Kudos
ac51451
Senior Reader

In our area Where we suffered from the drought last year. There is still a lot of fertilizer available to this years crop. Which makes planting wheat much more attractive than usual. If it's another drought, we can hold our inputs down, and the insurance will at least give us a profit

erikjohnson61y
Senior Advisor

I'm basically doing that with beans this year. Last year fertilized for 200bu corn and got 140 with the drought. Still dry, and if it stays that way I'll try to no-till the beans directly into the corn stubble. Should be enough residual fertility to make 45-50bu beans. Plus, two herbicide passes will add 4lb of AMS for some N and S, and 3% OM will give me a little K2O and P2O5 kick as well over the summer. If the weather happens to turn ideal after planting, I might lose a little of the topside potential, but willing to take that chance.

agricoli2638637
Contributor

Re: How much nitrogen does it take to plant a crop of spring wheat in the Dakotas?

I farmed in SW MN and like responder 6, after severe drought in 1976 resulted in 10 bpa on an 80# N fertilized corn crop (then the U of MN recommendation for 120 bu corn after beans), my following crop was not fertilized---but I seeded spring wheat, not beans, and binned a then-amazing 75 bpa yield with some field areas at 100 bpa.  Fortunately, there was no scab that year as untreated scab is often a yield and quality destroyer for wheat following corn.  Good modern wheat varieties are scab resistant and spray treatments are now available, certainly cost effective with $11 wheat.  Also, then and now it's legal to save, clean, and plant some un-patented home-produced wheat varieties for additional savings. However, variety protection laws do prevent selling bin run seed to others for seed. 

Wheat follows beans, with excellent results as beans do not breed fusarium and scab unlike corn stalks, and also leave residual N.  I think a below recommended 40# N application with the bean residual N boost should give you acceptable protein and a decent yield.  That bean-wheat yield boost is well documented by North Dakota Ag scientists.

With good wheat prices, I liked the bean-wheat-corn rotation to break disease cycles, optimize yields, and spread workload.  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Facts are for much of us in the higher plains.... It won't take much nitrogen at all to max out yield potential in a drought year and take the profit in crop insurance.

Many of us are just hoping for enough rainfall to raise a cover crop as the wind keeps coming.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

And lets face it the drought might be offering us a way to survive without fertilizer..... give this some thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMgCTFjHMQA

0 Kudos