cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NCIllinois82
Contributor

Hows a young farmer find more land to rent???

Im a young farmer looking to find more ground to farm but its hard to compete with the large farmers around here. Anyone got any pointers??
0 Kudos
36 Replies
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Re: Hows a young farmer find more land to rent???

This will sound boring and old school. You have to find the subgroup of owners who still rent to people not the high rent group who just rent to money. There are thousands of folks out there in the people to people group who would like to help a young guy get going. Maybe not next door to you so you will have to drive a ways. Also, you need to plan for it to take about 5 years. jmo

BF2012
Advisor

Pack Your Bags

and head to South America.

0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

Re: Pack Your Bags

or Ukraine

0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

Re: Pack Your Bags

or Africa.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Is there an elder farmer who has no heirs to pass his legacy onto in your neighborhood? If so, offer to help him when he is busy free of charge of course. This won't pay up front, but it just might pay dividends down the road. By working for peanuts now might convey that you are about character and not the almighty dollar. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, the average farmer is not getting any younger and the next generation doesn't seem to be returning. Forming a friendly bond will also open the eyes of other producers in the area who might be looking for a new tenant in the near future as well.

On a second comment, make your acres look absolutely the best they can. The small things really add up, mowing ditches, keeping equipment and vehicles clean and presentable does not go unnoticed. Believe me, when you keep your equipment tuned up the neighbors really notice. Been there, done that.

Lastly, smile and be happy. No one wants to be in business with a grouch. Maintaining an upbeat and positive attitude even through the tough times shows confidence in yourself and your operation. This can be hard at times, especially when things like the weather are working against you, but it doesn't make it any less important.

Good luck in boosting your operation and keep us posted. By the way, what area are you from? How things looking for you?
idalivered
Advisor

I was in your position 20 years ago and now you want me to hand over the "keys"? I'm still gonnacompete with you and now i'm holdin' the winnin' hand. That said....at 54 i've thought about who I would rent my farms toand the list is short.  Money would not be my primary concern. I'd like a tenat that is involved in the community. Ambulance crew, Sunday school, local church board, school board, you get the idea. Being a good neighbor goes along way. Good health and good luck are synonomous. Unfortunately for many health concerns can derail a nice farming career.  A good wife / marriage is VERY important. Also, if you spend over 1 night a week at the bar, don't call. I'm not particularly fond of what I call "the silver spoon boys", but soon that;s all that will be left. I'd prefer someone that owns at least a little of their own farmland. I know guys 60 years old that had to have new green paint all their life, but theynever could put together enough scratch to put a down payment on a farm. I hope this spurs some conversation and i can ponder the responses.

iowastateisgreat
Contributor

Ida,

If you are like most farmers, you won't have to worry about finding a tenant for at least another 30 years.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

hope so!

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

The two biggest farms to come up for rent in my neighborhood the last few years were government owned. Ground around the airport, owned by the county commissioners, and a prison farm, owned by the state. It just took money, highest bidder got each of those.
0 Kudos