cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Huh

Sounds like guys are checking fields and going where did it go.

That 16x48 ear at pollination has shrunk to 16x32 by blister. More heat will pull depth and nose down more.

This will go down and the most overhyped underperforming crop in recent history.

The truth is slowing bleeding thru
0 Kudos
7 Replies
werkman53
Contributor

Re: Huh

Tigger knows best. I walked a few of my fields today and was suprised to see those long ears getting shorter every day. Some of my longer season racehorses are seriously tipping back. 250 is turning into 200 or less quickly and its the 4th of August. If you don't get past the first few rows though, man it looks good. Not so much out in the middle.

I don't have much new crop sold for $4, so it is good to see Tigger bulled up and back on the boards. Maybe its the start of a pre harvest rally.

0 Kudos
nutlug
Veteran Contributor

Seeing similar ears in Central KS. Comes as a surprise as we have had ample moisture and the plant has never appeared stressed.
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

To drive by a cornfield, it`s dark green, tall, thick as hair on a dog, but the ears are the money shot, size matters, walk the fields make up your own minds.  It`ll be interesting what Chip`n da boyz in their tour.

0 Kudos
voltzman
Contributor

Same thing here in SE Pa.   Corn is tall with short ears-about 6in long will get most of it.   NW Iowa is the same-neighbor field planted in April has alot of 4-6 inch ears with the bigger ears tipped back 2 inches and small kernels to 2 to 3 inches back.   Warm mornings?

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Gee Mizzou...I walked about 3 miles yesterday...my thought was...how can it still be here with as dry as it is getting?

Perception is a funny thing. Expectations are also funny things. Neither are facts. A good friend from your part of the world thinks his never till with cover crop corn will be fantastic. hmmmmmm.....

One thing that supports your view is that the beans in a conventional till corn program lost their color on the hills yesterday. Hardly a disaster, but just our turn (IN and OH) again to be below the national numbers for beans I guess. Ours will start losing their color in a few days, the system normally gains us 3 ot 5 days of moisture stress tolerance. Thus, a rain this weekend would be pretty important.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

i hope eddie has good corn

and your worst corn is usually better than my best corn so you are probably doing fine too

JMO..........but this crop has too many scars to do what they think it should

0 Kudos
jec22
Veteran Advisor

Beans, I am wondering if we set new records for the corn/soybean ratio.  Could we go to beans 4x the price of corn soon, would not take much on the cash side.  SDS started showing up in July, several weeks earlier than I can remember.  Every rain that is good for pod fill just ramps up the disease - double edged sword.  In another two weeks there will be no hiding it the dead beans. With bean exports high, seems beans have some upside, especially since carryout from 15 is not that big.

0 Kudos