cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

I-80 road trip

Woke up Friday morning to see that, in total, we'd gotten 7 1/2 inches of rain at the house, then got in the car and headed west to escape the water, and boy did we ever! Took a trip out to my hometown in NWKS -- took I-80 on west to Lexington, NE, then south there. I'm fairly accustomed to seeing that imaginary line where the tap shuts off, which usually hits west of Kearney, NE. But, wow, what a difference this year. That "line" actually didn't hit until well south of there this time around -- the Platte River is just gushing through there.

The corn in the western Iowa hills looks pretty good -- looked like it grew quite a bit, actually, in the couple of days between our westbound trek and when we were headed back east. Once we got out west of Lincoln, seemed like I saw a lot more yellowing corn. Anybody having a tough time getting N to stick around out there this year?

My hometown's just about 50 miles north of the line where it turns just disasterously dry. Talked to a couple guys who say they'll probably wind up with 40-bushel wheat. The continuous crop acres are far from that, but sounds like everybody who stuck to a conventional rotation will wind up okay. It was just starting to turn around there, but it sounds like the combines are moving into southern Kansas. Is it that time already? 

My daughter got sick in the car on the way home yesterday, so as we were standing on the side of the road cleaning things up, I thought "This must mean JR is posting something in Marketing Talk right now." I think I was right! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
semndairyguy
Veteran Contributor

Re: I-80 road trip

The guys I've talked to NW and NCKS say it will not make 15 bu wheat.

Corn here in SEMN looks good, just need some HEAT and a nice rain shower wouldn't hurt either. But seems JR isn't sharing the rain! Btw, if you tink what he posts he makes people puke. You should see the stuff the guber posts on the other site! Those moderators over there watch that guber pretty close. Lol
0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Well now. two friends pickin on me! That just ain't fair. LOL  Hey just thinkin with friends like you two who needs enemies! LOL. 

Jeff I remeber those days well. Makes the tripps oh soooooo long!  Hope she's feeling better.  

Glad I am. what a horrible week last week was. Lost 12 pounds in 4 days. GOt overheated baling hay FInally went back to workin this morning. Feels good to be back at it. I would have only takenoff one day but the wife and daughter told me that if I didn't rest they were going shopping!  Better to stay on my rearend than to feel that pain! 

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Jeff,

you need to take another road trip, through sw KS via US 54, then south into Texas.  Not a pretty picture.

In my part of Central KS combines have been test cutting the last several days with some early fields cut.  Got a light shower last night, only enough to bring up the humidity.  Combines should be going strong in a day.  I'd say we should have close to normal yields this time around.  If it hadn't been for the million dollar rain back in April, we would be looking at 20 bu wheat, or less

0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Hey, Smokey. Where about are you located? I lived in Dodge City a couple years a while back, and yep, I've heard from my friends down there that it isn't a pretty picture. Sure wish we could pipeline some of this rain we keep getting down there!

Sounds like 40-bushel wheat will be a good crop up around my hometown this year. Hope you get what you need to make everything at least marginally worthwhile this year! Ha! Stay safe out there as the combines start rollin'! 

0 Kudos