cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OKdon
Senior Contributor

I can remember the first time I got $3

for beans and thought I was in bean heaven. Cash rent $46 per acre and the bean acres grossed $120 per acre. How could you ever beat that?  $1.20 cent corn sealed in the corn  crib and shelled out at $3.65. And new crop contracted for $3.15.

Well we still have $3 corn and $9 beans, so why are we complaining? Just tighten the belt and negotiate lower rents and live happily ever after. You were able to make it then and you can make it now. Cheer up and enjoy life.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kyu2852570
Veteran Contributor

Re: I can remember the first time I got $3

You need to negotiate coop down in fert and chemicals also.. lots of dollars to trim there and playing hard ball with them will amaze you how fast they drop 10-20% I do it every year

also lots of dollars at risk at harvest time. Right now her. basis is .50 under. Say your corn is 18.5 moisture that's almost .20 per bushel for drying charged at the elevator not to mention the screwing on shrink. So you have a $5 hta minus .70 is $4.30 per bushel on 200 bushel land..$860 per acre

haul that same corn home and air dry on these nice 75 degree days drying costs .05. Roll your hedge to march gain .12. Then the basis at local eplant is -.20 now your price is $4.87 after drying. That's $974 per acre a $114 dollar per acre increase I know there is cost of money and you have to have the bins but everyone on this site has proclaimed to bedebt free so not sure what number to use there.

Point is don't go bawling to your landlords when there's a lot you can do within yourself with a bit of effort to increase your bottom line
Jed Stivers
Senior Contributor

Let us know when you get that $46 rent.
childofthecorn
Veteran Contributor

And let use know when you get done shelling your corn from the corn crib.

0 Kudos