cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

I look for this ebola deal to expose many of the problems in the market place

regulators have been unable or unwilling to approach. MArkets will first try to suspend trading etc....  These markets are so sick and unhealthy that any governmental interference to try to stem the selling will only make it worse.  The Black SWAN has landed and its making a nest.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Senior Advisor

WHAT ?????

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: I look for this ebola deal to expose many of the problems in the market place

You are potentially right about this. If Ebola mutates airborne, this could be another "Black death".  With everybody jumping on airplanes these days, this is something that could be far worse than what happened in 1300s Europe 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

But none of us have ever seen anything like that, so it`s easy to dismss caution as "fear mongering".    I really do think it`s irresponsible to be sending the US Army into the middle of it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: I look for this ebola deal to expose many of the problems in the market place

One word comes to mind quarantine

0 Kudos
Advisor

why is the world haven't we shut off all travel back andforthfrom west africa.  Where is our protocol to stop this disease.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Quarantine is an appealing, easy answer, particfularly for those of nativist sentiments. But it isn't going to change anything. Either we stop it in Africa or the world is in for a horrible ride.

Some say it is too late. I hope not.

Hedgie, while I probably share some of your views on the vulnerability of markets I'm not able to get too cheery about the current thousands or potential future millions or billions, dying a horrible death. 

Even if I'm short.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What are your specific examples of how markets are sick and unhealthy?

Why will markets try to suspend trade?  Did markets suspend trade durng any of the bird flu or swine flu events?  Did markets suspend trade during the recent Russian invasion of the Ukraine?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

The main reason stocks are so high is that any stock that pays a dividend looks good compared to geting 1% interest in a cd. Numerous times the government has bailed out airlines because of the huge amount of jobs that would be lost if a major airline shut down and people stayed home.

The government wants people to spend money to create jobs,,anything from a terorist strike to ebola to just a new strain of flu could crpiple the economy,not just in the united States but worldwide.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree Nox.  I am horrified at ramifications for my business as well.   I look at this as the event where confidence drops on everything in the markets.  When the dow tanks next time people will have lost all confidence in it and the FED, and will be very skeptical of any solutions coming from them.  Confidence will be lost in the govt in general.  Iraqi thing blowing up, inability to contain ebola or fix economy etc.   I see this as the event to call all politacal and monetary bluffs. Not gonna be pretty.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My doctor friend that I help every year said way back in August this should have been quarantined look where its at today hindsight is easy I guess but sure would have made a lotta sense again who's leading us 

0 Kudos