cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

I love it when

Farmers curse usda and pro farmer when they estimAte huge yields, when it lowers the price of corn and their paycheck. The surveyers are liers in cahoots with the government and it's cheap food policy. You would think black helicopters where flying overhead. Fast forward a month or two in the winter at the local coffee shop when the bins are packed away and they try outdoing their neighbor for bragging right on the biggest yield.
30 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: I love it when

I wish I could Negative Kudo someone - this post would probably meet my standard for it.

Jen

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

There is surely some law that has some kind of penalties for beating dead horses. The boy needs help.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

A 5000 acre farmer always has 6000 acres in the spring and 4000 acres in the fall
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I love it when a guy is so wrong in 2012 and 2013 then gets 1 crop right and acts like he knows something even if he is way over on his estimate. That is humorous to me.

What you got this corn crop at VR, 180 still?
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The reason they curse USDA is because if they didn't they'd have to curse themselves for being such a fool as to not have sold ahead when prices where higher.

Farmers always like to find something to brag about even when it doesn't matter.  When they have nothing sold and price goes in the bucket they brag about yield.

Farmers are not interested in facts or the truth.  They are only interested in what makes them look good in their own eyes.  Nothing unusual about that - it's human nature.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

"Farmers are not interested in facts or the truth.  They are only interested in what makes them look good in their own eyes.  Nothing unusual about that - it's human nature"

Wow..... This is perhaps the only statement that is further from the truth and dumber than the original post.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

What annoys you? the repetition? And you never repeat anything?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Heres something to chew on

Just like the old adage that in the dry years , the hills are better, and in the wet years, the low ground is better is something you should know without a yield monitor, the same is true for forward selling.

In a big crop year, selling ahead makes you money and you look smart, in a short crop year, you look like a fool.  But if everyone did one or the other, it wouldn't work very well.  So we that sold a lot of $7 and $8 corn over the last five years  probably should thank the permabears like Buckwheat and Jimmy that sold early and often at low prices. Without their bushels off the market, we never get the lofty prices and never get out of debt. So, hey, Thanks guys!

On the same token, those permabears should be thanking those of us that didn't sell earlier than they did and kill their market. Both sides helped the other and the really smart guys like Shifty that managed to sell at the right time in every year, well, just stick it in your ear, Pal.

0 Kudos