cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: I'm So Conflicted

Jen if I had a million dollars I'll promise you I wouldn't be farming. Hell, I probably wouldn't be doing much of anything.
0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

I'm so poor i can't pay attention! The truth is that that acre I own  may be worth $10k per acre or more. And market value may slip to $1500 per acre but it won't matter. That acre is not for sale  and it will still be mine til the day I die. I bought land to own and to produce it was not speculative  move. If I should buy another I will plan on keeping that one as well.

clayton58
Veteran Advisor

If you have a mortgage it would matter to the banker whether the land is 10,000 or 1500
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

We had some good posts. Why can't you just realize he had some good content today?
0 Kudos
kyu2852570
Veteran Contributor

Shagger, don't you and your wife have $100 k + jobs plus you farm DEBT free with a trumpet in your right hand at all times? Are you living outside of your means? You seriously don't have a Million dollars yet?
0 Kudos
viperkev
Veteran Contributor

I don't see any difference in those opinions being presented than the bullish ones in the last year that convinced many farmers not to sell corn for $7.00 for 2012 crop, $5.00 for 2013 crop and missing the soybean hedges for the next 3 years and now they have to possibly take sub $9.

It isn't a news flash that the stock market has already lost almost 900 points from the high so another 1000 could be really easy even without an Ebola scare. A correction down to January 2013 would fall right into the 20% correction that has happened many times. It isn't fear mongering in my mind it is presenting real possibilities and if people can't sift through all the chaff on this site or many other ones that is their problem. That old saying....."opinions are like a__holes.......everybody has one"

Kevin

Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Depends KYU, you talking net worth or liquid cash?  Seems to me having that much cash on hand is a waste of an asset if I'm not looking to expand at the momment.  What really is living outside of one's means if we have no debt?

The trumpet is for sale, oldest son gave up playing.  It is a Bach Strat, top of the line of course.  Maybe I should consider just trading it for a fiddle so we could all enjoy it.  I'm confused, what does having it in my right hand suppose to mean?

Yes we are very fortuanate to hold 2 good off the farm jobs with over the top benefits, I'm not trying to brag just merely stating the facts.  That's what makes it that much harder to walk away from.  $5 wheat and $3 milo makes the decision a little easier though, and besides I'm at work right now getting paid and getting paid well to converse with you.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Kevin we need you in the thread with mt and vrbuck to put people in line
0 Kudos
viperkev
Veteran Contributor

Thanks farmerguy but I don't think it would be time well spent on my part. It is really hard to get everything done that I want to do now. There is so much criticism passed around and hearing the sarcasm dumped on people for voicing an opinion is hard on my outlook. I wish you were my neighbour so we could talk about it over a beer though Smiley Wink

Kevin 

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Kev  you are so right. Arguments about future market trends are silly. It's not as though it is politics where we have strained philosophical differences. The markets will go up or down and anyone can be right or wrong. And most of us are at one time or another. I do think there is a problem when people questions  people intelligence simply because they are wrong.

The person that is proven wrong after a time needs not be reminded day after day.  On the other hand, I've been so wrong so many times predicting future trends that it is really no shock to me to hear it. I figure people are always wrong in every sales event. WE either sell too much or not enough and that is true for  even the brightest amongst us.