With every hot check I write

May your field be ruttless and dry

And may all your harvests be dry

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: I'm dreaming of a white harvest

Global warming?

140 years of records, average frost date here is the thirteenth.

Guess what we're not only getting frost but a freeze, AND snow yesterday. Big area inches of the stuff.

USDA trimmed soy acres a little bit, ol ma nature just trimmed yield a little bit.

The stars are shinning, sunny every day in the eight day. Should help those wet beans in the pods sprout.

Gonna take all those and then some to settle some of this ground out. I've got acres of corn in standing water.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

At 5-AM the stars where shining and temp at 30* It now has "cleared off cloudy" and 33*  That inch of wet snow yesterday  was a stark reminder of what maybe  ahead.  I can remember twice in my 40+ years of farming when it "Wintered in" on Oct 31 with snow and an ice storm and that was the end of field work till Spring next year.  It will take more than 2 weeks to "get er done" however, a lot will happen with that sunny forecast going forward.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

El cheapo, how much snow did you end up getting?  We had maybe an inch accumulate, but the ground was warm enough that a lot? melted when it first changed to snow.  Hoping to resume field work this week.  Maybe I'm being too optimistic?  time will tell.   I wonder how many wheat acres will turn into milo or soybean acres?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Never wrong to be optimistic. —
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I once decided to harvest corn after rain, snow and sky’s cleared while ground was cold and hard Forgot to drain grain tank on the red machine and broke the auger in the bottom trying to move a chunk of ice.
It can get worse. 🏆
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Wonderful to have indoor plumbing as the traders say...
Thanks to a senate committee....
No,, that’s wrong, my dad dug that hole thing ..... but I’m told it will drain into the hole Congress is digging soon. Good to have backup.
0 Kudos