cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

I noticed there are a few threads on the other site......

About corn yields crowning..........

Its amazing..........

Been preaching peak corn for at least a year.........and flattening yields for nearly two.........

Lmao..............guess some are finally coming around, too bad they were late to the party........

And yes Ray I will put together a post about peak corn just or you........

0 Kudos
16 Replies
bigrock4076903
Frequent Contributor

Re: I noticed there are a few threads on the other site......

and now agtrader is their "go to" guy....i think I would rather listen to you MT any day of the week.

they don't get it - debate gets you to the essence of matters.

with that said, I don't think we are at peak corn yet; the potential of varieties is amazing today.  i also think there is a lot of marginal ground that can raise the total bushels produced in the us by a fair bit.  8 corn does wonders for production and production practices.  however, that is not including climate change in considering peak corn.

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

I wonder about marginal ground production ever coming on in a b ig way.

The extra imputs costing so much now to get that old yellow clay to raise a mediocre crop is gettting beyond the point of profit.

With cheap lime, NH3, and P&K, yeah, you can bring it to life for one crop, but to do it yearly especially with fertilizer prices as they are now, I like the CRP better.

0 Kudos
Slim123
Senior Contributor

I heard Elwynn Taylor at a crop day yesterday saying he thinks the national yield will be 147 for 2013. 

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Do you guys think when the price drops permenantly we will stay away from the marginal ground. Therfore the national average will rise considerably.
0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

What drival.  Peak something means that there is an end to the resources that allow for the continued growth of a particular item. 

SO what resource has become limited that would allow us to say that there will be no more advancements in science, or husbandry practices that will keep us from expanding the yield boundry?

I understand there was a drought. But that doesn't mean we are out of water for ever!

This discussion is about as relevant as my Lions are to the NFL.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Yes, nat yield could go up, but we lose 10 maybe 15M acres to do it..........thus lower total production.......

This is why I talk about peak corn in terms of total production first and trend line second.........

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Jr, it's more complicated than that.........we are not dealing with a oil well..........we are dealing with something that weather effects......Among other things.....

0 Kudos
noreaster
Frequent Contributor

It will rain again, it always does...

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Yes JR.

I am waiting for the genetic modification that will allow corn to 'fix' it's own N then what will happen to yields and where corn could be grown.

0 Kudos