cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

I saw

Many corn planters running in the areas dry enough or Sandy enough  in the Miss. Delta today.

Was having a nice visit with one farmer 35 miles north of Vicksburg, Miss when his man running a planter called and needed pulled out of a mud hole. Cut short a very good visit too soon. The field I found him in was too damp too. Said the field we were in made 82 bu of beans last year and 78 the year before. Corn this year and would expect 185 Dry land, had had it leveled and ridged last fall and will put in an irrigation well yet this year just in case it is not an Ideal year.  A well will kick the yields up some more. Used to be cotton in that area, very little left.

Most is planted on ridges, saw several that had been twin rowed. Saw one twin row planter running. Was a Monseem (spelling not quite right )  All seem to be 3 point majority are 12 row stack fold.

Just after I left him got a call from another farmer just about 25 miles straight west of where I was only on the Louisiana side of the Mississippi river and said he had planted 50 acre s of corn this morning and two acres this afternoon because of planter issues. He was about to "loose it" as he put it.

Might try putting up some pics in a day or two.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jed Stivers
Senior Contributor

Re: I saw

If you come up 55 you won't be to far from me. If you go west on 40 you won't be but 12 miles from me.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Dang Hobby - You mean you didnt go over and help la345 get his planter going ???  Boy what a friend , lol

Guess I'll have to give him a call - looks  like its raining today  down there ,

Jed - for some reason I thought you lived WAY up north , your in Arkansas ? You about ready to start planting soon ?

0 Kudos
Jed Stivers
Senior Contributor

Yeah I'm in AR, 60 miles south of Memphis. We wanted to start this week but it was to wet till Friday and had this rain forecast for this weekend. We had 1/2" last night.
If it wouldn't have rained last night Monday morning this whole area would have been wide open like it was May and nothing had been done.
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Eco...

La didn't have his phone with him all morning so I had pat as a backup.

Took 65 up to Pine bluff , spent the night in Fayetteville.

Snowed on us from Joplin to Nevada,Mo  snow plows out wasting salt. 33 ° 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Ice on the cattle caterers this morning in South Podunk Country Iowa.

0 Kudos
Jed Stivers
Senior Contributor

Pine Bluff is 80 miles from me. 65 has some real good ground along it.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

I can see corn stalks through the snow now up further north...

Lol!
0 Kudos