cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: I suggest for anyone to understand

I have some fields of beans here in south central Nebraska that look like you sprayed them with defoliant,  the next look fine.  I have a hard time believing that this freeze didn't hurt some crops.  Traders and Vrbuck forget that when you don't get heat units the crop just sits and waits for a freeze!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The whole problem here in South central Iowa was no so much lack of heat as is was/ is lack of SUNSHINE,  we have had adequate heat in my opinion just day after day of daylight without Sun. 

The corn handled it better than the beans as beans are more daylight determinate.  Just the summer without Sunshine down here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hobby do you think the lack of sunshine here in the upper midwest is from all of the forest fires that are and have been taking pla c e all summer to the west of us. Also this is one of the weirdest frosts I have seen in my career of farming half fields froze some corn fields turning white the next one okay stages of the crop made a huge difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Yep, it even "cleared off cloudy" here again this morning.  Our fields are still very wet.  The seed corn guys are really having a struggle.  I had some rye and clover seed flown on in mid Aug.  in standing corn.  Looks very good.    

0 Kudos