cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsbs
Senior Advisor

Re: I90

well, I was a little bit flabbergasted at the bid. My first shed was a 40 x 80 x 14, galvanized tin, but heavy duty construction, two sliders 20 x 14, about $12000 in 1991.

Late 1990's built the second shed, name brand, 50 x 90 x 15, 25 slider, colored steel, two 14 x 12 overhead doors....just under $30,000. No electric, no concrete. But extra heavy duty construction.....it is not going to fail in the winds or snow.

2005 to 2010, built two more sheds.....60 x 16 x 96.....end sliders on each side....two side service doors, no windows, clear one side eave panels to let the light in.....also extra heavy duty rafter spacing so I could put a insulation package in, and a ceiling.......$45,000 each. These were lumber yard sheds with colored tin, and a local contractor put them up. About $35000 materials and $10000 labor. Someone else bid the labor at $12500, and the next bid was $20,000 and one other bid was in the $20000's too. 

Inflation? yeah......too high of a price bid? yeah, probably.....there has to be a lot of margin in that bid. Makes you scratch your head.

0 Kudos
rsbs
Senior Advisor

Eric and others, sorry to hear the rain wasn't as widespread as I thought. I saw most of MN getting it and the top third of Iowa. Still a lot left out, and the markets barely went down (Beans were up to start the night session).

Maybe there still is hope for a rally?

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

What I`ve noticed is an area of Minnesota that has had a "greenhouse" effect this summer as the guy I work for calls it, in that Austin, Minnesotaish area.  They`ve if anything had dare I say, too much rain, they would get 3" about like we`d get 3/10ths.  Yet I would notice leaf firing, don`t know if there were compaction issues due to wet planting or if they went scotch on their Potash applications (the poor man`s irrigation)?   Will this latest 5" rain in those blessed areas going to show up in beans (beans don`t like wet feet)?  

Beans are funny, crappy looking ones usually out yield fantastic looking ones.  I have tall beans this year (kiss of death on yields) I select short traits in beans, they say growth regulators don`t pay, the Podfathers talk about "burning beans down" several times, but that`s scary.  

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

I feel your pain.  Picked up .11" yesterday.  Spotty rain all around us.  Central Iowa.  I walked my corn field this morning and the ears are a 1/4 or more tipped back.  Iowa's corn yield will be well below 200. Last year the corn around here was 245 to 260.

0 Kudos