cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: IT IS TIME

Getting to wish I hadn't started this thread....

I should have known we all couldn't do anything.

Only the govt can do anything about everything.

Heaven forbid we encourage anybody still making a flex fuel vehicle...

Or encourage sales to other countries that are set up for it or need it as a oxygenate.

All this crp wetlands, pollinators, hel, is totally misguided, and corrupted.

But hey let's do more....it'll work this time.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Lets take 60 million acres out of production.......... won't significantly change usda predictions in the least.....  nor will it change world supplies...... wherever they are....

Politics is driving traders like cattle with a helicopter....

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: Dang wolverines

and the last line in your linked story says it all....... Some funding for the study was provided by the American Petroleum Institute.
0 Kudos
Advisor

I guess it isn't a bad idea to have more flex fuel vehicles. The time will come when the economics will be compelling although if you assume lows in corn around $3 and 1.20 in ETOH, that really doesn't come until RBOB is above $2.

BTW, it varies by engine/vehicle and my research is far from exhaustive. But over the last year it appears that our 2012 Outback with the 2.5 boxer engine gets about 2.6 mpg less on winter blend vs. summer- right at 10% overall, city and hwy. Which is actually more than you'd expect theoretically given about a 4% drop in energy content.

Absent economics the number of people willing to pay a voluntary tax in solidarity with agriculture is probably too small to move the needle.

0 Kudos
Advisor

As far as the generation of farmers alleged to be lost from former farm policies, I don't think the goldrush changed the calculus of consolidation in the least.

In fact given that some degree of retrenchment would be expected if they didn't continue to move the goalposts forever, it will accelerate it.

Which is why prudent policy would attempt to avoid setting off manias. They're a lot easier not to start than to figure out what to do with once you have.

But even if you could keep a $7 floor under corn prices farmers would just bid each other out of business.

Landowners, on the other hand, would be in the drivers seat. Somebody with 200 prime acres could live very well off the $100K+ rent check.

That might be a little light, actually. A quick calc on 200bu CC land comes in around $700 per acre even with super high input prices. You may not be willing to bid to 0 net return but someone always is.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Nox   The economics will probably never favor the electric vehicles over the fossil energy(or a combination of the two).  Not with the direction we are plowing public funds into electricity generation.  These glorified pinwheels create terribly expensive energy.

Technology has actually helped fossil fuel production more than it has electrical production.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The thing about flex fuel for me is

A) costs almost nothing more to manufacture.

B) no expensive rare earth metals required

C) no terrible environmental pollution.involved in its production compaired to the manufacturing of those expensive rare earth batteries.

D) choice of conventional or high alcohol. Fuel available everywhere, no range limit...

Honored Advisor

totally agree hobby.

It is the only bright idea that politics has encouraged from a list of very very very expensive failures...... and these trend fools are already trying to regulate it out of existance...

0 Kudos