Esteemed Advisor

Indiana Jones and farmers

As the optimum planting window closes a little more each day, I was reminded of one of the Indiana Jones movies.  The one where the rock door is closing and Indy reaches back to grab his hat, just before the door closes.

Will farmers be able to pull this off with getting their crops planted in 2013?

(Just a note, farmers are almost always pretty attached to their hats........no matter one which one they are wearing.)

Senior Advisor

Re: Indiana Jones and farmers

Interesting comparison RT1, but a good one. Yes, it seems like once we get to planting we can get millions of acres covered in just a few days, however the window of planting into premium conditions are fading away to just getting the planter rolling to get the seed in the ground.

The hat is something that I agree with completely, and the amazing thing is most of us that wear hats are wearing the ones that were given to us for buying a certain product. This doesn't necessarily make them freebies, but I think you get the idea. I've never heard of someone buying a certain input product because they've got the best giveaways, but I guess it could happen. Never looked as it as an emotional attachment, but that is exactly what it is. I think I will go throw my old grimmy hat away and go to my collection of about 1.2 million free ones and grab a new one. I usually save this task until after wheat harvest and the combine is all cleaned up, but I will switch it up this year. Besides this will keep me from falling into the rut of same ole, same ole. LOL
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Indiana Jones and farmers

[ Edited ]

Shaggy, You are correct.  For a farmer, there is no such thing as a free hat.