cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Interested to see USDA finally starting to catch up with wheat ......

...... but, I think they still have a ways to go.  I thought it was sort of bizarre when they stayed the same across the board every month on SWW and then chopped it 20% in the last report. There was plenty of evidence from early this spring that the forecast used couldn't hold up. So I'm again a critic of the USDA for my own particular area - but I think they still have some adjusting to the poor crop on the Southern Plains.

It would be very valuable to have the expected quality rankings in a Federal report - at least for winter wheat at this time. It should be fairly easy to group grades given. That happens to be the rest of the story that can be very important.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Interested to see USDA finally starting to catch up with wheat ......

I am fairly certain that SRW will be many less acres then usual, this yr.

The beans are late harvesting, because of all the rain

Our area is fast approaching the deadline of when it is too late to plant, and get the crop growing in the fall

Wet soils for planting only add to compaction, which is another consideration, on the clay soils

Of course, many don't like to plant wheat, unless it is for rotation reasons, so we will skip this yr

Having straw for bedding is not the reason it used to be.

Most small sized animal and crop farms have disappeared

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: Interested to see USDA finally starting to catch up with wheat ......

Probably overstating australia but fast becoming a basket case in 2014, will be continueing downgrades not that it matters as world is awash with wheat

0 Kudos