cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Interesting rumor regarding Chinese corn/bean buying

You just have to say this is sort of like the plot of some murder mysteries, like the tainted Tylenol cases some decades back...several people killed with poisoned product, most likely yo cover up the pointed elimination of only one person. How many activities are going on under the everyday radar, now that non-essential services are turned off by the shutdown?

When see situations where logic of "Why?" questioning makes absolutely zero sense, then I always start asking myself "Why not?" Yet another reason why this one bothers me, I suppose...what is slipping past us, which will go undiscovered, or only be realized too late?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It is just a timing issue.  It takes a while to buy large quantities and not shake the market too much.  Nice to keep the first few loads bought before the news gets around.  Sucess often means recognizing opportunity.

Speaking of "opportunism" did ya"ll see the story of the court in california this last week, determined that the "accelorator runaway toyota" was actually a driver running a red light?

Weekend slip in thought

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

AFP news:

'De-Americanised' world needed after US shutdown: China media

Beijing (AFP) - While US politicians grapple with how to reopen their shuttered government and avoid a potentially disastrous default on their debt, the world should consider 'de-Americanising', a commentary on China's official news agency said Sunday.

"As US politicians of both political parties (fail to find a) viable deal to bring normality to the body politic they brag about, it is perhaps a good time for the befuddled world to start considering building a de-Americanised world," the commentary on state news agency Xinhua said.

In a lengthy polemic against American hegemony since World War two, it added: "Such alarming days when the destinies of others are in the hands of a hypocritical nation have to be terminated.

"A new world order should be put in place, according to which all nations, big or small, poor or rich, can have their key interests respected and protected on an equal footing."

Negotiations over how to end the budgetary impasse have shifted to the US Senate after House Representatives failed to strike a deal with President Obama on extending borrowing authority ahead of an October 17 deadline.

Beijing has in recent days issued warnings as well as appeals for a deal, all the while emphasising the inseparable economic ties that bind the world's two biggest economies.

"The cyclical stagnation in Washington for a viable bipartisan solution over a federal budget and an approval for raising debt ceiling has again left many nations' tremendous dollar assets in jeopardy and the international community highly agonised," said the commentary.

China is the biggest foreign holder of US Treasury bonds, worth a total of $1.28 trillion according to US government data.

"Instead of honouring its duties as a responsible leading power, a self-serving Washington has abused its superpower status and introduced even more chaos into the world by shifting financial risks overseas," but equally stoked "regional tensions amid territorial disputes, and fighting unwarranted wars under the cover of outright lies" the commentary said, referring to Iraq.

It added that emerging economies should have a greater say in major international financial institutions the World Bank and International Monetary Fund and proposed a "new international reserve currency that is to be created to replace the dominant US dollar".

China has only slightly more weight than Italy at the IMF, which has been headed by a European since its creation in 1944.

A governance reform has been in the works for three years but its implementation has been blocked by the effective veto of the United States.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Remember, it's just a rumor .....

I do respect Louise Gartner's opinion on wheat and she is objective and evidence based when it comes to commenting on the wheat market. I'm guessing she thought twice about including a rumor in her commentary as that is not her style. I'll guess she had some respect for the source and some reason to include it in her commentary on this site.

We WILL find out if it is true or not when the government bureaucracy restarts and catches up with the data.

Even though the opportunity to take advantage of the down information system would not have occurred to me I would not be at all surprised if Chinese traders figured it out. There's been enough time.

And as you have implied before this would be a bearish factor - unless the amounts were quite large - as it would be 'over' when we had a chance to find out. This also means specs could wind up way out of line.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Shutting down the government and furloughing federal workers, then paying them later for not being able to work, slowing the economy and destroying small business in areas and sectors where their business come to a complete halt as business vanishes due to the halt is not going to affect spending.

All that work needs to be handled with a functioning Congress which has purposely stuck a wrench in the works.

What a waste!

0 Kudos
Advisor

Why do we have to raise the debt limit to fund the government
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Because they are over payed jack$@@es
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Federal government takes in about $250 billion a month in revenue.  That's $3 TRILLION a year.  How about no debt limit increase and the feds have to get by with that.  TA-DAH - a balanced budget.  Oh the howling, kicking and screaming!!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The debt limit is raised to fund what Congress already approved. Wars, rumors of wars and domestic.

So, do you cut spending by cutting spending or by skipping work and welshing on your bills?

There's a right way and a wrong way, and no party has a track record they can easily defend on this score. Which means that almost everything said by them at this time is to divert the public from what they actually do. End of story.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The commodity of  " political will " is  extinct in the beltway  - - -as far as the Chinese it would appear their exports bringing in the  US  $ would take president over political babbling ---

0 Kudos