cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Interesting

that the expanded NW corner of the corn belt that has been generously blessed by global warming over the last 30 years or so is stuck under the tail of the western blocking ridge this year. There’s not much indication of any imminent change, although it looks to pull back a little a couple of weeks out.

You’d deserve the skewering to suggest that one year means trends are changing.

But with CO2 levels rising precipitously, we are going to see some faster shifts of some sort. The NWward shift of the corn belt was predicted by models 40 years ago.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Interesting

The problem is the jet stream more than anything.  But yes, there is a "climate change",  in the 4 billion years that the earth has existed there has been climate change.    We can talk C02 all you want but 7 billion people on earth can`t expect to live like JR Ewing.

0 Kudos
erikjohnson61y
Veteran Advisor

But Al Gore hadn't invested global warming 40 years ago!! (He hadn't even invested the internet yet! ) (Although DARPA Net did exist....)

Yeah, going from 0.025% CO@ to 0.04% sure is precipitous... but a large % increase in a small number is still a small number.  

Anybody else notice that the trend in crop yields matches pretty closely the trend in CO2 in the atmosphere??? Odd, I wonder what could be causing that!!!

Anybody else notice when they go to the museums that plants and animals used to be a LOT bigger?  I wonder if it has anything to do with crustaceans sequestering untold quantities of carbon in limestone??  Compared to prehistoric times, the Earth's biosphere is literally starved for carbon. Us releasing a small fraction of it back onto the biosphere will extend life on this planet a little longer (geologically speaking). Ultimately life will end when critical quantities of carbon no longer exist in the biosphere.

clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Spoiler
I don’t recall any predictions from 40 years ago about the corn belt shifting. And yes I am old enough. 40 years ago I devoured the ag press. Can you post some quotes from that era?
0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

40 some years ago they were predicting another ice age too.

timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Seldom is there a thread where everyone disagrees and yet everyone is right 🙂

The CO2 is increasing rapidly. The climate is shifting. I was there 40 years ago, the headlines were about another ice age coming, not the NW belt expanding. Crop yields do increase with higher concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere....yet most miss that the real concern should be on NO2, not CO2.

Well, like the lady said yesterday, the condo collapse was caused by the ocean levels rising.....I guess in a Dem controlled county you have to blame it on something outside the county inspectors right?   🙂    Maybe you should not build your castles on sand?

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

It isn’t that there haven’t been heat waves in the past- it’s that we’re breaking all time records under the domes by huge margins. 119 in interior BC, 118 in Siberia.

If the permafrost let’s loose then we’re on our way to a wild ride already. Which doesn’t mean it’s time to just give up and party like it’s 1999.

The fascist elements in our society need to overthrow the Constitution quickly because people are beginning to notice.

0 Kudos