cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Iowa Corn Is Not Moving

On Wednesday, the USDA released its state reports. I found this insertion in the Iowa report very interesting.

"

Grain movement in December was 
mostly light to non-existent. There were scattered reports of corn moving to 
ethanol plants and feed mills. Some outside corn piles have already been 
removed, others are dwindling, and some remain intact. Adequate hay supplies 
for livestock at this time. Cattle still grazing on corn stalks in some 
areas. Temperature swings have been rough on cattle, creating some health 
problems.

Note: slide the black line to see the rest of the text to the right.

Could this be true? Little to no movement of corn? Perhaps farmers really plan to plant less corn this spring, leaving room for the old crop corn to sit and wait for that Black Swan event to occur and rally this market.

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: Iowa Corn Is Not Moving

Reasons?  

1. Farmers sold and moved all they had to for 2016 income.  They had room on their schedule Fs for more income because of low prices. 

2. The weather is lousy in January.

3. They are in Florida or somewhere else warm.

4. End users already have a plentiful supply.  Basis levels stink and they are waiting for a better sales opportunity.

5. CBOT futures stink......and they are waiting for the spring rally.

6. All of the above.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Sometime you wonder if the night watchman writes the comments............ it means Nothing to say

Some outside corn piles have already been 
removed, others are dwindling, and some remain intact

How can that be if no corn is moving.......

It is always a clue when one sentence contradicts the previous...... Nothing here worth reading

Lines like this .....................

Temperature swings have been rough on cattle, creating some health 
problems.

That's a safe January statement every year....... 

Interns need something to do.....

Sounds like a department that can be downsized....

clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Marketeye, thanks for your reporting.  I know weve been a really tough audience the last several months...but dont take it personally.  Most of us realize your just repeating whats put out by others.  But i have to agree with sw... much of this stuff is just rediculous drivel

rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

It takes 35-38+ myn bushels of corn EACH WEEK to feed the various end users in the state of Iowa, and that doesn't count what gets loaded and exported out via rail and barge....

I suggest those USDA folks drive to a major end user and then follow some trucks back into the countryside....they might learn something.....writing is obviously not going to work out to be a valid profession.....well, maybe if they want to write fiction

oh, and I didn't count the bean trucks in those estimates, either.....better tack on another 7-8+ myn bushels for them....

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

=Classic example of fake/made up news/lies

Even grain semis on Interstate 235 going through the middle of Des Moines.

Grain semi' s on the move everywhere here, maybe they're all empty just practising?

Spent the day putting new brakes on mine today, it'll be on the road for real next week hauling corn and a few beans.

Thank goodness for a heated shop...

Might be a good few days to run the fans again...

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

You know it is a ridiculous post when Ray takes exception :-) Great chuckle to start the morning.

Ray, should I take this gift of a positive basis here in ECIN or wait for a few more cents? I was hoping for a blizzard this week to get me anothter nickel but doesn't seem likely now.

0 Kudos