cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gritrock2
Contributor

Re: Is $8 enough

Before I knew anything about futures and basis, that is what I used to do.  I now see the benefits of using my local coop for what it is there for.  I sell almost 100% of my grain through our local with HTA's.  It allows me to lock in a good CBOT price when I think it is time, and gives me the flexibility of choosing to roll my futures or set the basis to whoever has the best bid later.  Today, Cargil in Cedar Rapids has a basis of -.10 the July for full June delivery, and ADM in Cedar Rapids is +.04 for June delivery.  By doing Hedge to Arrives with the local coop I can get 14 cent better basis at ADM today than had I sold it directly to Cargill.  Also, ADM is 11 cents better than Muskatine and a whole lot closer. 

0 Kudos
gritrock2
Contributor

Re: Is $8 enough

Made more money last year than ever, and it was only $4.00 to $5.00 sales.  This year should be a great year.  I remember in 2008, December corn hit 7.96 on the board on June 27, on December 6 in was 2.92.  While I think this year has fewer acres and better demand, never say never.

0 Kudos