cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Is anyone wondering if we could get close to running out of soybeans?

............again?   Smiley Happy    Never have run out before........right?

Sooner or later, this "just in time" stuff from South America may catch some folks by surprise.    Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Is anyone wondering if we could get close to running out of soybeans?

Contrary to popular perception there were still beans left this last fall, 

After the $15 early price, the $13 late summer price just didn't get the job done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I don't see how it's possible we had a record crop and South America looks good so far
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Well my bean yield won't help make it a record.

34.2 bu/ acre

Just not a great year for beans in this area.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

My reply to this thread was based on a conversation with this year's crop adjuster. His comment was something like this... I was amazed at the number of bins we measured with old crop beans in them so more could be put on top.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Hobby, that doesn't really tell us much. He could have been "amazed" if it was 2 govt. bins. we don't know how many would make him "amazed". 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Ia, I totally agree very vague and subjective, I can tell you in all certainty he found 8700 bu in one old guy's old bins. As far as the rest I did not pry and ask for names and amounts. I do know the high school kid that got the job of leveling off those bins after they were filled to the top and two others with this year's harvest. One of which was one of those "old gov't bins."

Bu don't count if they are not in at least 25000 bu bins?

Beans went over $10 cash her locally yesterday, that makes those old gov't bins a $30,000 bank acct, nothing I'd make fun of.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Better to be long soybeans futures and vol. now. South America always brings uncertainty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Hobby, most years I've been known to fill at least one govt. bin. Usually one with a floor and center sump. I'm sure you remember emptying them with those "tail" augers tied onto the outside auger. Man that was dangerous!

0 Kudos