cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Is cotton buying any acres?

I was reading on agweb about the money moving back into cotton. Is it enough to get anyone to raise more cotton? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Is cotton buying any acres?

From what i`ve heard, no. China is setting on 1 1/2 yrs worth of cotton....what they need is a big ol` fire, if it`s insured Smiley Wink   The Iowa Stae guy says that corn still looks better down south than cotton.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm sure out west it might be but in the mid south its not. However that being said with corn and bean prices falling it makes cotton look a little better. Corn has lost 100's of 1000's of acres in the south right now.
Cotton needs to be .85 dec. minimum to start buying acres. Southeast acres will prol stay the same.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What are those hundreds of thousands of acres going to,soy?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Soybeans and a lot of rice is coming back. Corn took a lot of rice acres and last fall rice could be booked for almost 7.00.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

My understanding is that getting in and out of expensive cotton pickers is a real barrier to moving back and forth from cotton and other crop alternatives. Apparently a cotton picker doesn't cover that many acres.

Soy is much easier, especially if DC with winter wheat.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There is still a lot of picker capacity left setting in the sheds. They were worth so little most had to keep them instead of taking the loss.
I have one friend that was all cotton on almost 5000 acres that parked two almost new pickers worth almost a million dollars and bought two combines and planted all soybeans last year. Right now he is still planning on all beans for this year.
The bailer picker might be what takes cotton away from this part of the world, once the pickers we have now are worn out not many people are going to want to drop 700,000 on one new machine.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thought about you Jed when this first came on.

I saw those round bales in the childress tx area and wondered if that wouldn't really put a monkey wrench in the equipment rotation issue.  I was assuming the cost would be lower -------- is that true?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Well the cost is like everything else, get big or get out.
The cost advantage goes to the guys running three or more basket pickers. When you can cut your number of pickers by one and cut out the boll buggies, module builders and all the people that go with them you are gaining ground.
The guys like me running one picker will replace it with one picker and still have the boll buggy tractor out there running the bale spike. The two module builders and 4 part time guys are cut out but the cost of the picker and the wrap more than offsets it. The wrap is around 30 dollars a gin bale.
Now if I had 2,500-3,000 acres and knew I would have that much every year that would make it work. But like I said earlier the guys that are running five pickers, five buggies, seven to eight builders and all the people on the ground that go to four pickers and one tractor on the bale spike have the advantage.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Like much of ag.  It is a numbers game.  Technology is accelorating it.

0 Kudos