cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

It's got to make you wonder, if all this food is.....

It's got to make you wonder, if all this food is going to waste, milk dumped, vegetables plowed under, pork being given away, who's not eating.  I mean, you go to the grocery and there are no vegetables to speak of and the clerk says that what does arrive is gone by noon every day, the meat shelves are half empty.  Somebody's not getting the food they did previously.

You wonder, just like the air is noticeably cleaner due to the lack of fossil fuel burning are people going to lose weight and be healthier because they're not eating as much.  Maybe there's a lesson here.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: It's got to make you wonder, if all this food is.....

@rickgthf wrote:

It's got to make you wonder, if all this food is going to waste, milk dumped, vegetables plowed under, pork being given away, who's not eating.  I mean, you go to the grocery and there are no vegetables to speak of and the clerk says that what does arrive is gone by noon every day, the meat shelves are half empty.  Somebody's not getting the food they did previously.

You wonder, just like the air is noticeably cleaner due to the lack of fossil fuel burning are people going to lose weight and be healthier because they're not eating as much.  Maybe there's a lesson here.

USA has a history of  wasting/throwing away 30 to 40% of all food served. 

Now they're likely wasting / throwing away less food. 

Senior Advisor

You may be right.

Just shifting around where it is wasted.

0 Kudos
Advisor

No question that there is less waste with food prepared and served at home. 

Schools, at all levels, serve tons of food a day that ultimately is disposed of in some manner.

My 3 adult daughters and their families are on full “house arrest”. Always cooked, ate most meals at home but surely went out some.  They’ve become engrossed in cooking and baking, somewhat as a diversion but also out of utility.

There’s a 4 year old in one of those homes who knows more about cooking than her Mom did when she graduated from college. That’s not likely to leave her.

Honored Advisor

While it certainly isn't a bad idea for the kids to learn how to cook, it's a good thing to have the internet.  I'm guessing the parents are also learning via the internet right along with their kids. 

Advisor

YouTube a goldmine.

One fun side piece, my sheltered in place 92 year old Mother is loving getting numerous calls from her adult Grandchildren for cooking and baking tips and advice.

Veteran Advisor

Life's ironies:   

In one fell swoop, the Chinese Communist Party destroyed globalization AND gave America back its families.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

True, and Grandpa Ranty's 70 day golf, rally and stock ramping binge, too. Eye wasn't on the ball- heck, head wasn't even in the ballpark.

But nothing goes back to "normal" for quite some time.

Like the GFC, there isn't enough time to envision what's really worth saving. One ubiquitous form of "small business" is the thing where somebody owns half a dozen, or several dozen fast food franchises and keeps the bank very happy by borrowing vast amounts of money and cash flowing the payments. Like in the GFC, bank balance sheets turn to dust with the prospect of all of that commercial real estate being nearly worthless.

In a lot of ways they are now like Granpa Ranty* in the mid 90s when his net worth was exhausted, he was liquidating his yacht** and plane and other things and defaulting on much of his debt. The bankers concluded that he was of more value to them alive than dead and didn't pull the final plug.

*at that time you could carry forward an unlimited tax loss for 15 years. His was perhaps the biggest individual loss ever. It did turn out to be an asset as he was able to recoup something without the burden of paying income tax. I don't think it is that generous now.

** purchased by a Saudi prince at above market value. Similar to selling a Palm Beach mansion to the Russian potash king the next time things got tough.

0 Kudos