cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

It`s not so bad down on the Farm

vvvvhttps://thehill.com/opinion/finance/460208-farmers-prosper-in-spite-of-trumps-trade-battle-with-chin...   

Snip:

The Department of Agriculture recently forecast that net farm income will rise nearly 5 percent this year, to $88 billion. That growth comes on top of increases in both 2017 and 2018 and is, just for the record, faster than the overall growth of the economy.

For sure, times could be better. The forecast for this year means that real net farm income would come in 36 percent below its peak of $136.5 billion in 2013 and slightly below its 2000-18 average ($90.1 billion). Farmers suffered a severe drop in total revenues during the Obama years, collapsing from $484 billion in 2013 to $412 billion in 2016. Weirdly, I don’t remember the media paying much attention.

Not all farmers are expected to enjoy rising income this year. Commodities receipts are forecast to decrease $2.4 billion, or less than 1 percent, to $371 billion, while sales of animals and animal products should climb modestly.

And that dreadful soybean collapse? The DOA is estimating that revenues for all crops will decline $3 billion, or under 2 percent, thanks to crimped soybean sales. But payments to farmers under the administration’s Market Facilitation Program, in addition to other subsidies, will rise almost $6 billion this year, more than offsetting the fall in crop receipts. 

Perhaps most startling, the DOA forecasts that the average farm will see net cash income increase more than 11 percent this year, “the first annual increase after 4 consecutive years of declines.” Moreover, the median income of farm households will be up almost 4 percent this year.

At the same time, farmers are getting richer; the net worth of the farm sector is likely to rise slightly this year, to $2.7 trillion, mostly because of higher real estate values.

25 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: It`s not so bad down on the Farm

And this is the same USDA that’s so full of s??? With their crop acres and yield projections ?  🙁😩.  Sorry, I just had to say that before someone else did.  I’m glad I don’t need the government to tell me if I’m having a good year or not. 

Veteran Advisor

Just how low are you going to go

Just so you can be political....and

Just like the latest mess, where 

Your man said alabama was going

To be impacted by the huricane

And it was wrong...rather than

Correct a simple mistake...oh

No...threats made to fire those

Who were to tell the truth.

You are now telling me we are

Better of having the trade war

With China....and all the people

With prevented plant acres....and

Flooding..,..and you expect us to

Believe ""things are good down

On the farm""

Sir....you need a dose of reality.

0 Kudos
Contributor

As the orange haired clown named bozo once said.... FAKE NEWS 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smiley Very Happy    Okay I kind of expected that sort of reaction.   However, I don`t think prices are so much our problem as inputs remaining at levels that you need to raise $7 corn to afford.   My fertilizer man says MAP prices are now  the lowest they`ve been in a decade, I don`t know about potash, but study your lesson, people. 

I have a friend that hires his beans no-tilled, hires the coop to do all his spraying, hires it combined and then bemoans "No money in farming!" I don`t have to heart, but I`m sure thinking "How do you know?  If you actually TRIED farming, maybe you`d make money, instead of being on the phone getting other people to do your farming".  

And how many of us are wall to wall employed?  Wandering around Menards on a week day afternoon looking for good deals, isn`t really important important to your farm`s bottomline.

Senior Contributor

$4 corn this summer helped a lot of bottom lines. I know it helped mine.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Missing those Obama years?  Take a trip down memory lane...

"Who can take your money?

With a twinkle in their eye?

Who can be a failure?

In so many ways?

Instead of getting fired,

Hey, we'll give ourselves a raise."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltViImADMA

And to all the "orange man bad" naysayers:

If corn and beans are so #*%*&%*& miserable to grow and sell because the captive market has escaped your clutches, name me the crop that you can sell to the general public for $40 bushel (and, no, it's not pot).

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ha,  your books don’t match mine then.  After 2 years of fixing the Bush disaster, 6 of my best years under Obama.  Since the 90’s under Clinton did alright.  As for this year my god, the facts are a farm crisis.  19% farm bankruptcy increase 13% farmer suicide increase.  PP acres every where.  On top of the latest smallest crop I’ve ever seen.  If you don’t have trouble on the farm you are extremely rare and lucky and probably never will.  Just the facts 

0 Kudos
Contributor

It’s not 3.50 corn and 8.00 beans that’s the problem. It’s the inputs that suck $60/unit soybean seed and $250/bag corn. Somebody can make money at these prices but everything has to make sense when you buy something. Just go buy some parts. When you start thinking of how many bushels you need to sell just to pay your bills it’s scary.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Well we have heard the gospel true according to BS Deere our Russian news briefer. Because of Trump you are all getting rich. The price of farm land is up. BS flat at best. Net income is up BS your pencell is broken a 5% increase we just plain are not quite that stupid.

Go right ahead with your false statements don't worry nobody has the guts to call you.   

0 Kudos