cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Jamie Kohake sez `end of open cry a disaster`

And to add to your point Roarintiger1,

And stopping usda's manipulation of the market("prediction of the future" process), would also point out how little real market news-- based on fact-- is provided BY USDA  or anyone else for that matter..  and most of the fact based info does not wag the market.

ie.. export inspections, export sales, crush numbers, ethanol weeklys, and the facts known but unreported, ie insurance claim acres per crop, insurance planted acres,  Prevent plant acres claims... etc.

Planted wheat acres will be turned in to usda and federal crop ins. in the next month for 2016.  Data wasted.... not used..  Yield data not used...  

If the SEC was actually regulating -- or whomever should be--  Would usda be sanctioned for manipulation with insider knowledge.

In 2011 when a heat wave in June (in the midst of a drought) flash fried corn acres in every state south of I-70 and west of the Mississippi, usda ignored the information from their own fsa offices... That irreversable burning of leaf structure took just a few hours in heat as high as 120 degrees...  yet it was a nonevent to usda until it moved north and east the next year...  FACTS are not important to those who claim to have the facts...

Volatility will always be there and should..  

We will always look for market info to understand the volatility.  And we will find it.

But the issue that bothers me, Gio/lucas, is.... like many other economic activities that have gone "tech" and "Global" is

Who serves as a "regulating" body now that the US Government has thrown up its hands and covered it with the USDA smokescreen of commentary.   The current cattle market futures is a good example....  Who is watching or can explain... 

numbers haven't changed yet.  Beef is selling well, exports seem ok...  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You can reinterpret the words all you want; and a few people will believe you, but the vast majority of information users understand the difference between a prediction and a projection and how to use them.  Those in denial end up hurting themselves.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I wish this forum was open to information, If so it would get more ,  I find it interesting that producers who are close to production are dismissed for having skin in the game when end users are defended as being fair and unbiased.

For example, genetic potential in corn seed........ I see without a doubt there is improved yield potential in the new genetics, just as promoted in congress.  At the same time I see as a producer,    even if the potential were 600 bu per acre,,, it isn't going to happen if the other 75% of the equation will not support it.

Yet if a report is presented that water is excessive or far too short to support the potential............... well on this forum it will be discounted ....... and therefore unreported..... after all when you survey every area of the cornbelt it takes time and you have to keep data and that is not as easy as a simple interview or a usda guess.

It's human nature, we all want the quick and easy answers.

0 Kudos