cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Japan

The Japanese are talking about this in terms worst disaster since WW2 ...the energy problem is number one beside the human catastrophy.

It is not sure they are going to trade tomorrow because the risk of  prices off the cliff.

What will happens with prices tomorrow on grains and energy???

Is further down most likely???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Japan

Trying to tie any market relevance to this disaster is gonna be hard.

First like you said the energy problem is first and foremost. How are you gonna keep beef fresh with no power?  Refrigerated storage is a bad thing with no power.  ALso with so many ports damaged most of the products will need to be brought into ports on the west side of the nation which isn't the normal port route. 

Their needs will be for products that would be in a MRE not on a menu at Mc Donalds.

Financial markets will be hit severly over time. That will be the thing that moves grains as folks look to things that are real. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Food lost due to lack of refrigeration will be replaced. If the grids are still up it's likely energy will be redirected.

I will disagree with the effect on financial markets over time if you are referring to Japan. I believe rebuilding and construction and replacement of infrastructure will stimulate the economy and strengthen the economy that was stagnant.

0 Kudos

should it matter? and who really cares? the markets have been **bleep** good....the whole story is human suffering and nothing else...and btw, i am a Jap, and my family, going back 4 generations, have been involved in ag since the early 1900's here in north america, cheers!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The personal suffering is the most horrific part of the equation---paper is still just paper ----

0 Kudos
Advisor

Thanks to "Pennsylvania" and you, I did a little poking around and wrote this news item today: U.S. farmers take personal view of Japan disaster. Your thoughts helped me keep a perspective on these events, and even imagine some way farmers might eventually be able to pitch in and help. It was done fifty years ago with a "hog lift" of all things.

John

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

interesting contributor

lets hope he does more.

0 Kudos