cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Jen Early AM Weather

Each forcast gets dryer guys. It's down now to where occasional showers are being replaced with much less occasional and limited moisture, to at the end of the ten days nothing with more nothing to come. Sorry, didn't look at temps, I'm tired with all the posting tonight, and the other issue. But the jet is split, the major potion up in Canada and breaks sharply to the east over the Great Lakes, with a minor flow east to west over the center of the country. It should keep the corn belt cool and dry, and the northeast US cool and wet. Sorry guys - looks like very little rain for anyone in the corn belt now through the middle of the month.

Jen
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: Jen Early AM Weather

Jen, are you referring to the long range forecast, past ten days?  This shorter range forecast is getting wetter.  Some serious rain for some of the corn belt.  Just a forecast.  Right here in the heart of Iowa, I gauged 1.32" of rain for the month of July, about 1/3 of normal.  

p168i.gif

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I look at the now to ten days out, and maybe a bit beyond that, depending on what I see on the maps and how air masses are moving. Yes, some have gotten lucky and got under a nice shower lately, with a lot of lows and cold fronts dipping out of Canada. But that is ending for now, being replaced with a series of highs. I have disagreed with the long range moisture forecasts most of the summer. They have tended to show a lot of precip, most of which hasn't occurred. Each run of the forecasts for the last couple of days has shown less moisture, more scattered with lesser amounts. The weather map shows this this morning also. A big front draped across the US with no precip associateted with it. Some are doing OK moisture wise, many have been and continue to be short. This next two weeks looks to add to the deficit for most everyone.

Jen
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I just reviewed the near term weather for IA specifically again. I'll stick with what I said. I'll do this / the next two days is the wettest pattern. After that, not much for the next ten. The next two days moisture from the gulf is limited as the atmosphere above the souther US is capped by a large high pressure system over much of the southern US. This will limit moisture that any system has to work with now, and for the next eight days. With a fairly active jet over IA, and it being summer, some convective activity can always occur. But it won't be anything large scale, like the whole state getting rain. My guess, next two days, considering all of IA, 30% coverage at less than .25., 10% coverage at less than .50 inches, and less than 1% coverage of 1 inch or more. And I think going to be generous on those amounts statewide. Grade me in a couple days. Let me know how I did.

Jen
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Oh Jen, You know this bunch.  We'll be happy to judge.   Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I know....trust me, I know

Jen
0 Kudos
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

Mornin' Jenny. Hoping and praying the infection is slowing.

As for the weather, this is pretty typical for August. Rarely in August do you get systems with widespread rain. It is typically the scattered type. Just hope the cloud comes over you!
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Trust me - the cloud is already here

Jen
0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

I can confirm that the Great Lakes is cool and wet.

Several days with highs of 17-18C for highs.

July rainfall totalled 85.5 mm here which is just a little over average but it came on 15 days so month felt wet.

Wheat suffered quality issues because of all the wet days.

Since we get our rain in storms in July my rainfall amount will not be the same for everyone but many suffered strong storms several times during the month with wind damage to crops, trees and buildings.

On going job gathering up downed tree branches and even whole trees.

And August is starting out wet with 15mm in gauge overnight.

Take care of your health.

Infections can be devastating if they get out of control. 

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Canuck, you have any wheat rejected? None of mine is crap yet. I missed the flood and got drought instead. I am probably better to have not gotten any rain.

1" this morning.. Cool for sure. 21-22 high here...Some wheat to go yet, but will. E easy. Yields: fantastic
0 Kudos