cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Jens AM Weather

The vampires just left, thought I'd do an early briefing. Still status quo. Jet stream remains south of corn belt, we stay mostly cooler than normal & dry. The large high that drops in from Canada 10 days away spears to be advancing slower than previously expected. No additional rain in the forecast but this could extend the dry period longer than the 15 days I spoke about yesterday. Southern US is still capped by a large high. Other than scattered showers like we've been seeing, nothing much for rain, especially for IA. Those patrolling the outer perimeter may want to lower the shields to allow more precip to enter the state. Coldest night of the season still happens around night of Aug 8th with an area of cold air that gets modified before it gets to our border with Canada, but still may bring some temp readings into the 30s in Nortern MN. That's it for now.

Jen
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: Jens AM Weather

I'll have to hand it to you Jen, you where right and all the weather models where wrong.  Iowa did not get the rain forecasted last night. Maybe a "back door curve ball" will nail us this afternoon.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Thanks Wind, yeah, I saw what was being forecast. I brought up the Des Moines forecast on Wx Underground and saw they had forecast the 80% - it's not what I saw, obviously. And, yes there still is a chance IA could pick up some today, but I need to look at some more data before I can give you coverages. I see nothing though that would greatly exceed my amounts and coverages from yesterday - remember my predictions covered the two day period, which would take us through the entire event. The greatest shot though was last night.

Jen
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

My brother out between Lincoln and Omaha called this morning and said he got a badly need inch. He was right on the line between way more and not much in his neighborhood.

I have a good case of sunny skies right now and need to go get to raking the rain bait I put out day before yesterday.

0 Kudos
farm-n-hawk
Veteran Contributor

Weather guru on Sioux City channel had a 70% chance of rain redeveloping

last night after first round of hit and miss showers (mostly miss) went through.

WHAT? Wanted some of what he was smoking.

Hey Hobby did you sell some of those rose colored glasses to these weathermen?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

No they were just too busy smoking their socks.

0 Kudos
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

The thing with radio/TV weather people is that they have a good case of CYA syndrome. So easier to put a chance of rain in the forecast and not have it rain vs. no rain in forecast and it rains.
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Dairyfarmmn, it's easy to be a Monday quarterback. I didn't see your wx prediction. No weather person wants to be wrong. If you think that coming up with a forecast, especially one that goes against what the general media is presenting, try it. My forecast is not just a shot in the dark. I don't feel, like I think you do, that I "got lucky". If I'm as lucky as you think, I should go to Vegas - oh, that's right. I do futures. Might as well be in Vegas. And, the house still has the advantage.

Jen
0 Kudos
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

Did I miss something or post something I don't remember posting? Cause I don't remember saying anything about you in my above post.
0 Kudos