cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: John Deere burning ethanol in future

Could they play around with diesel/ethanol blends?  Many people smarter than me (a big pool) often say E-30 gasahol is the sweet spot of economy and performance.   Perhaps, like the old John Deere A`s they started on gas and you`d flip the lever and run on at the time dirt cheap kerosine.    Maybe start the engine on ethanol (computer changes mixture) accelerate on diesel and once up to speed run on the lower power requirements from ethanol?

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

BA, thats what they were doing in the Vo-Tech shop 40 years ago, experimenting with ethanol/diesel blends.

Never heard anything more about that, outside of seeing it being done.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

BA  , don't bet the farm on 2015 being the cut off year for Long Beach entry -🤠

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

K-289, would you dare to venture into the Golden State with your def deleted?    🙂

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Biodiesel ethanol blends

I make & run biodiesel for the majority of my farm fuel (a little straight diesel in winter for convenience).  A few years ago, I experimented with various ethanol/biodiesel blends (5,10, 15, & 20%).  They all ran fine in my JD 2755 pulling a six-row cultivator under heavy use for hours at a time.  The higher blends produced noticeably more power. 

The only difference was the slight smell of port wine blended with the normal slight smell of fried food from the exhaust which didn't bother me at all except around lunchtime.

I don't know how ethanol would affect nitrogen immissions, you might imagine they might be higher because nitrogen oxides production depends on the maximum temperature during the burn. On the other hand, the ethanol might provide some extra oxygen and change the reaction kinetics so you'd get a cleaner burn.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Glad to hear biodiseal mentioned.

Soo....is JD currently pushing 

Biodisel ???

It is great, except in the depth of winter.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

BA...... " the next step is for Deere to supply an engine that’s used in a range of its equipment, which ClearFlame will modify in its lab."   BA you gotta be kidding me.... this statement leads me to think it is all nonsense..... with all the future taxpayer millions spent on fake ethanol plants(cellulosic)  and the interest rate at 1%, why can't this parasite go buy the engine he desires like everybody else.  He should be telling us and Deere how well the "experiment" came out.  He should be selling it to Deere instead of begging Deere to partner with something he can't get to work.

This is all water under the bridge.

Diesel has three amazing characteristics.  1. High btu content compared to other fuels,--- 2. it converts those Btu's to energy at low heat.(long engine life)  3.  It is a self lubricating fuel.(long engine life) ....and (it converts energy cleaner in well designed and maintained engines.)

“If you’re burning a fossil fuel, yes, that is absolutely bad, but we’ve got liquid fuels today that are 50% cleaner than that because they come from renewable sources,” Johnson says.  ----IMO, this series of possible lies, or at least unproven nonsense has been told so many times that the voting illiterate who get their "facts" from gossip or repeating nonsense 4 times accept it.  Two obvious wrongs in this statement....."absolute bad"..... "renewable sources".  Both misstatements to pander to a cause.  neither are true,  for petroleum fuels or mineral deposit fuels are not evil or "bad" nor are agriculture based fuels "renewable" or without extreme cost.

Johnson says this research could help boost the rural economy, especially in Iowa, the nation’s number-one ethanol producer. Today, the U.S. is producing about 17 billion gallons of ethanol a year, and every one-percent of trucks converted to burning ethanol can result in the need to produce another billion gallons of the fuel.   Eric is making some great points on this...... The same folks who are condemning the "petroleum" industry and stopping pipelines are pushing for the rape of topsoil and overmining of fertilizer sources which need the same pipelines.  

I doubt they will ever get Deere to step in and make their claims credible. 

And think about your crop production.......... nothing is totally renewable

---------------------------

My experience that relates to this deals with irrigation energy sources.  Natural gas, drip gas, diesel....

The majority of irrigation in the sw is pumped using natural gas, burned in converted cummins 855 diesel truck engines.  The conversions have been perfected since the 1950's when the M&M tractor motors were converted.  (the water was 200 ft down and the natural gas was 2000 ft below that.  Mitigating the heat created by dry fuels(like gasoline or natural gas, or ethanol) is most of the battle.  Diesel is in an elite class when it comes to efficiency and cost.

Think about it..... ethanol can't even fully replace gasoline in a small horsepower format, unless you're willing to face higher repair and maintenance costs.  

At a time when we should be very accurate about the value of energy, we waste time trying to condemn the use of "enemy" energy with nonscientific innuendo while we lie about the fictitious attributes of "clean" or "enviromentally friendly" hocus pocus.   This guy is "trumping" the tripling of corn production in Iowa and calling that "good" for the state, that is real greed.   Our friends at Deere should not lend their name to the unproven claims.

k-289
Senior Advisor

The  fans  in  the  stadium , professing  were  NO. 1 ,  while  the end  of  4th qrt.  scoreboard  -  reality ,  display's  otherwise - - -  

0 Kudos