cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 21st, 1993

Went to bed the night before with forecasts of possible frost in the N. cornbelt (somebody else's problem, my potential gain) so went to check the DTN for overnignt temps first thing. Hey, wait a minute- what's that white stuff on the barn roof?

Narrow band of frost stretched in a line, NW to SE all the way from SE WI to almost Cincinnati.

I got nicked a bit, one field of no-till corn got hit pretty hard. Could have been worse for me through- worst of a it was just a few miles a way- the band was only a few miles wide but people lost a lot there.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

correction, make that 1992

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: June 21st, 1993

When I hear june of 93 I think of flood not frost. It was about this time of year when the wheels were put into motion for what followed in july. Scars still remain.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes,  1993 was the year of the flood.  I could sure use a little of that water now.  Had a nice .59" last night for a June total of 1.33".

Some parts of Iowa are getting very good rains and other parts of Iowa are still on the "edge."

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

A late frost like that for us on the rare times it happens will only 'scorch' a few top leaves and the corn grows right out of it.

Now edible beans are a different story.

Had a field of edibles in the 80ies that the frost 'rolled' through holes in the windbreak on the west side and totalled the beans in small patches in late June. Rest of field was Ok and behind the trees were OK.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We were so cotton pickin` wet here in 1993 NCIA, that our corn probably still had it`s growing point below ground...seriously.  I do recall a time in the early 80`s that I was cultivating nice corn in the low ground on like the 5th of June and that night we got a frost that killed only the corn that had been cultivated. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

the cultivated ground gives up the heat more readily at night. Saw that in june 21 1992 when about 40 acres of low lying ground that had been cultivated that day froze....all the leaves died, but the corn stayed alive and put out new leaves and still yielded about 150 bpa.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: correction, make that 1992

nox!!! I've been intrigued by your quote line and it finally dawned on me that it was from the first animal house movie. ( im a little slow on the uptake)  You realize that we both "date" ourselves by knowing this quote? 1992 was a wonderful year here in my part of iowa. I remember it as being cool yet very sunny. also first year I ever remember a whole field average over 190. Unfortunately it was sandwiched between '91(crappy) and '93 (disastrous) for our part of the midwest. We had an early june frost in '89 here, that was unfortunate. I'm intrigued by the stuff I can remember and the things i can't.

0 Kudos

Re: correction, make that 1992

Yeah, well, obviously I got the year wrong initially so there you go.

That was just farming back in the day- over here 1991 was my worst year and set me back quite a bit. '92 turned out OK for me but not for some people pretty close and '93 was good- if you'd happen to recall it also got very dry to the east later that year but we were in the sweet spot on that one.

Not sure how, exactly, but most people made it through. For young guys who think that farming is like the last 6 years I'm guessing that they'll collect some stories of their own along the way.

0 Kudos