cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

June was wet on the I-90 corridor

Pioneer newsletter says "corn roots growing out of the ground" has been observed in some fields.  That`s wet, when to survive the plant`s roots defy gravity.  Elevator newsletter says during the month of June last year locally there was a little over 3" of rain and last year`s June wasn`t exactly dry.  This June was over 13" of rain and that`s coming after a a snowy wet April and wet May.

On other site a guy did the math on this wet area, the acres and yield cut and conservatively predicts "200 million bushel less corn" I concur.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: June was wet on the I-90 corridor

thank you

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The affected area is a one billion bu yield area, 200 mill in is just 20%.

Hate to point it out BUT many fringe areas vary that much on a yearly basis.

I'm in an area that can vary 35% +  year over year.

Might be why it isn't on chi town's radar?

Spread over two states minimizes it even more.percentage wise.

Doesn't move the needle very far on a 14,000,000,000 output.

Welcome to fringe territory...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

But I don`t wanna be in fringe territory!  Smiley Happy  But that area is probably the best in the cornbelt to handle a drought and now it`s been kneecapped.  If the rains come for the dry areas, then sure a Davis county gravel pit will make up for it.  I was in the Rockwell City area, beautiful crops, but as you get north to Algona there`s more yellows than greens.  With "dome of doom" talk, bears watching...perhaps Friday`s action was meteorologically inspired?

A little Levon Helm for your listening pleasure "Poor Old Dirt Farmer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBuJB218UvU   

yep that`s me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Advisor

Now BA that was back then.  With the new genetics we have now it is almost impossible  to not grow a record crop.  Here is what we now have.  LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYGbRO-jmE

Senior Contributor

Yes! I love when I hear that it's almost impossible to grow a record crop! It's like 2012 when I heard corn prices will never go back down!
0 Kudos